Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

pawn shops?

Old 02-02-2005, 12:36 AM

Default RE: pawn shops?

whitetaildeer87, I've got a couple and Savage's are good guns and very accurate and IMO good looking guns..
Old 02-02-2005, 07:04 AM

I have purchased a number of used guns from pawn shops. The idea is you find the gun inspect it well, inside and out. Then go home do your research and figure out what it is worth, scope, mount, rings, strap, bi-pod, mods etc. Add it all up. If it is in good shape you will typically save 30 sometimes 40% off new list price. Don't pay what is on the sticker, offer what it is worth, they will know you know if your offer is fair. There are books out there that will tell you what it's worth, that's what the pawn shop uses too. Develope a repore with the Owner not one of his flunkies. Make sure he agrees that the weapon can be returned if after a trip to the range if your not happy with what you purchased.

Makes my wife nuts but I do drive bys at a pawn shop or 2 at least once a mointh just to see if they have any good trade ins.

Good stuff goes fast. . . Got a great deal on a rem model 7 last year for my sons. It was on display for only 4 hours when I found it.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:47 AM

I doh't much care for pawn shops, the owners usually look up a used gun in a blue book and ask for the maximum listed there. Mostly the guns they get don't deserve more than the minimum price. Of course, if you are orderin' a new gun that's different.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

One reason that pawn brokers can sell new guns cheap is because they already have a FFL to deal used guns. They can use their FFL to order new guns from wholesalers, so many of them will charge you 10% over their price to order you a gun! Thats not too bad of a profit for ordering you a gun, while they are sitting there minding the pawn shop anyway!
Also, you can get some pretty good guns used at pawn shops. You just have to know how to look for quality. Most pawn dealers do mark their used guns pretty high, but most of them will also deal with you too!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:48 AM

A got a savage weather warrior ordered through my pawn shop for 250 bucks. It's not pretty like the remington I own, however it will out shoot it. Nothing wrong with the gun other than the looks.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:24 PM

The only thing is that at a pawn shop they will probably not stand behind their guns like a gun shop will. I dont know, Ive never bought a gun from there, but it is something to consider. I have a savage 110 .270 win and it is an excellent shooter. They are very accurate guns, but they just dont have all the shiny crap that bigger companies charge you for.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:33 PM

I've done some shopping for guns at pawn shops, and found some good bargains. You gotta spend a fair amount of time looking, though, to be in the right place at the right time.