Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Howa?

Old 09-02-2002, 03:18 PM

Default Howa?

Does anybody have any info on Howa rifles?, I was wondering if they had many problems or if they were a pretty good and accurate rifle.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Howa?

Howa rifles have been sold under several names such as smith&wesson and weatherby vanguard and as howa.They are reasonably priced but well made rifles that tend to be quite accurate.For a person on a limited budget I would prefer a howa over a savage or winchester ranger or remington 710.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one and it is my best rifle. It's labled a Smith & Wesson M1500 and it is a .223 with a bull-barrel. It shoots 1/2" groups all day long with any ammo I put through it, 1/4" groups with Bal. tips.

I'll have this rifle as long as I live. Just need to get the trigger worked on (not very good-some creep and grabby) but it shoots so good I love it.

I bought it used for under $300 with a 3x9 Bushnell scope. I need to put a better scope on her too but I can recommend them based on this rifle.

Power
http://www.powerandfury.net/hunt.html
Old 09-12-2002, 10:39 PM

Tough to go wrong with a Howa by any name.In 1990 I bought a new Vanguard in 270 Winchester with the factory installed Ram-Line stock.I still have the first target I ever shot with handloads. I put 4 rounds of 130 Hornadys into .70" at 100 yards.A few years later I had the same rifle as described by "Power".With this rifle I placed third in the first "organized" varmint competition I ever entered.Beat out more than a couple Rem 700's to place third.Howas are one of the sleepers of the bolt action rifle world.They borrow a lot from the older Sako.Barrels are bright and shiny.triggers are easily adjustable,it's simple "Power", really.I currently have a short action Weatherby Vanguard that has been rebarreled to 284 Win. Would I buy another? You bet.Like stubblejumper says, they are a whole lot better than some of the other rifles out there.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:45 AM

wily...

here is a website to look at about the HOWA rifle for sale. most i have seen on here are chambered in 270win.
www.kitterytradingpost.com

Old 09-13-2002, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was at the local gun store looking at a few Howas yesterday and if this is not the most underrated rifle sold these days i do not know what is. I owned a Weatherby Fiberguard a few years back a Howa and it was a shooter. This is the same gun. 329 dollars for a synthetic stocked 270 win with a beautifully blued barrel. It is an embarassment for the big 3 that is for sure that. Something that can be made so well for literally half the price of what is out there.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:48 PM

here is Howa's/Legacy Sports webpage in case your interested....

http://www.legacysports.com/product/index.htm

Tick a Liberal Off, Buy a Hand Gun!
http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looked them over again yesterday at another gun store and next to a rack full of winchester,rugers and remington 700's and savages. No comparism between a 700 and it just no comparism. Better Extractor,bolt is field strippable..fit and finish ..., reciever is forged ,bolt is one piece forged..barrel is as shiny as a bright penny and hammer forged. The only thing better is my Sako which costs roughly 3x as much .
Old 09-16-2002, 10:55 AM

Own a 22-250 labeled smith and Wesson. By far my best rifle among Rugers, remington, winchester, and savages owned. Smooth action and great accuracy.