Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Fires on Safety >

Remington Fires on Safety

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Fires on Safety

Old 12-08-2004, 09:31 PM

Default Remington Fires on Safety

Thought some would like to hear about my Remington experience. To make a long story short, last year my used Rem 700 7mm mag went off when I flipped the safety to fire. Scared off a buck I had stalked for about two and a half hours! Boy was I upset. My gun is always pointed safe, so no harm done, but I move it like everyone else and it could have been very bad. Luckily all that was hurt was my safety thumb with the kick. My thumb was bleeding like crazy and I lost the buck.

I had not wanted to believe the bad press about my Remington, but it happened to me!!!

Took the gun to a gunsmith, who would not even look at it, but just sent it to Remington. Remington said that the stainless barrel was rusted and that the trigger was all gummed up with old oil and dirt. I now believe them; the fault was my own when I did not check out my used purchase well enough. The rifle was made during the years when the safety was supposedly an issue, but this was an owner problem.

Then, Remington replaced the entire rifle except the bolt and stock for $160. Restored my faith in them entirely! Remington's on my good list again!!

I traded it in for a .300 wsm, not because I don't like Remington, but because I don't like the 7mm mag caliber, and I found a Winchester super shadow for a steal - Remington couldn't compete with this deal.

But I recommend Remington.

I posted this last year when I was very angry - doubt anyone would remember, but I thought I should say that they did me right.

And the best news - I got that same buck this year!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Remington Fires on Safety

welcome and way to go on the buck, i owned a ruger m77 that fired on me when i closed the bolt, it was a used gun as well, and i could never get around that incedent with that rifle, since then i have owned five ruger rifles with nothing more than some trigger work needed, a local smith was very anxious to look at the gun, it was sent back to ruger where the bolt was replaced for free, and it turned out that the bolt had some previous bolt/weather damage from the previous owner and it was the first time i had fooled with the gun, lesson learned, thank goodness i was in a safe place with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, again this was not a ruger problem but a previous owner problem, and i thought what the heck i'll take the thing out and see if it'll shoot[:-]

the fault was my own when I did not check out my used purchase well enough.
i can relate
Old 12-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad that no one was hurt, including yourself. My uncle had a similar thing happen to him with an old Winchester Model 12 shotgun. The story goes that he had seen a raccoon heading from behind his machine shop toward his hen house, so he grabbed his shot gun, dropped a shell in the ejection port and racked the round into the chamber as he was headed for the door. Well, this was an OLD gun, and not well cared for, and when he slammed the slide home the force caused the sear to release which resulted in a nice fist sized hole through the ceiling and out through the roof of his utility/mud room. Thankfully no one got hurt, except maybe a bit of hearing loss since the muzzle was about a foot from his head, but I bet his shorts were a bit heavier. The moral of the story is to care for your guns as if your life depended on it. A poorly cared for gun is a DANGEROUS gun, because dirt, gummed up oil and corrosion can and will cause a gun to malfunction with potentially deadly results. You and my uncle were lucky, but several hundred other people every year aren't so lucky, and some of them don't live to learn from their mistakes.

Be safe.

Mike
Old 12-09-2004, 05:14 AM

I am also glad that you were not injured, excellent example of why safety rules are important even when hunting, many people are the safest in the world on the range but on opening day all the rules go out the window. I also had a similar experience with a Rem 700 BDL that was older, late 70's early 80's production. Same exact deal, flipped the rifle on fire and it went off, I did wound the deer as I was actually scoping it as I filpped to fire. I take excellent care of my firearms, the gummed up trigger was not the cause. I shipped the rifle to Remington who replaced the entire trigger/safety assembly, no charge. Apparently there was a recall on certain Rem 700's for this problem, it was announced maybe 5 years ago give or take.

There are several guides on the net that will help you purchase a used rifle, they give you a basic checklist to perform when considering a used firearm. They have you check many functions of the firearm including the saftey. I will try to find a good source and post it, not a bad idea to take along with you to the gun shop.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the answers. I'll look forward to the checklist, usmc.

When I bought the gun, the dealer had just gotten it. Rifle was a mess, so he offered $100 off if I wanted to take it as-was. I was a long way from home and thought I had found the deal of the century. It was like paying me $100 just to clean a gun!

I spent hours with steel cleaner getting rust off stainless steel. This gun must've either been in the back of a pickup all year or somebody found it in the woods. Cleaned the barrel, but apparently not good enough. There was also too much head space (too hot of loads?). Didn't have a clue about the trigger ass'y.

Boy did I live and learn! Pun intended.

Thanks again. FYI Here's the buck I finally got with the new weapon, same exact place and day I had stalked him last year!

Old 12-10-2004, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

That design has that basic flaw. I still like the bolt locking on safe but not if the gun might go when switched to fire. Got to keep that trigger well cleaned and maintained. BTW nice Mulie
Old 12-10-2004, 12:53 PM

The problem you speak about can be caused on the 700 due to a poorly adjusted trigger. This will happen if the Sear screw was not set correctly when someone tried to adjust the trigger. This exact item is discussed in the trigger adjusting instructions. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:58 PM

Alot of times people will try to set their own trigger and forget to do the proper safety inspection on them. As well as improperly maintained weapons!
Old 12-10-2004, 07:31 PM

Had a Rem .243 bolt action that would not let me put the safety back on. After hours of fiddling with it, it acted like normal and went into safe. Couple weeks later I was loading the rifle, as soon as I locked the bolt down...BLAMMMO. Front tire of my uncles truck lost a hunk of rubber...right around the white wall.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:12 AM

Found the checklist, forgot it today, will post it by tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Remington Fires on Safety

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.