HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington Fires on Safety
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 11:29 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington Fires on Safety

I'm glad that no one was hurt, including yourself. My uncle had a similar thing happen to him with an old Winchester Model 12 shotgun. The story goes that he had seen a raccoon heading from behind his machine shop toward his hen house, so he grabbed his shot gun, dropped a shell in the ejection port and racked the round into the chamber as he was headed for the door. Well, this was an OLD gun, and not well cared for, and when he slammed the slide home the force caused the sear to release which resulted in a nice fist sized hole through the ceiling and out through the roof of his utility/mud room. Thankfully no one got hurt, except maybe a bit of hearing loss since the muzzle was about a foot from his head, but I bet his shorts were a bit heavier. The moral of the story is to care for your guns as if your life depended on it. A poorly cared for gun is a DANGEROUS gun, because dirt, gummed up oil and corrosion can and will cause a gun to malfunction with potentially deadly results. You and my uncle were lucky, but several hundred other people every year aren't so lucky, and some of them don't live to learn from their mistakes.

Be safe.

Mike