Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Win ballistic silvertip vs super-x >

Win ballistic silvertip vs super-x

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Win ballistic silvertip vs super-x

Old 12-06-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Win ballistic silvertip vs super-x

I'm wondering if it is worth switching to ballistic silvertip ammo. The super-X shoots 1.25 inch groups at 100 paces (at best) in my model 70 featherweight 7mm-08. Will the coating reduce fouling that much to make it worth the extra 5 bucks? And what about the expansion of the Nosler bullet...worth it if my shots are 50 to 100 paces? Thanks for your experience.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Win ballistic silvertip vs super-x

You've got it backwards: The moly coating on Supreme Balistic Silvertips may reduce COPPER fouling a LITTLE, but in it's place it leaves a LOT of MOLY fouling...it cleans out pretty easily though.

Personally, 1.25" groups at 100yrds is nothing to complain about from a light weight rifle. I'd at least try them out, but you're not getting hurt by your groups right now.

In most of my rifles, the BST's shoot INCREDIBLY well, MUCH better than any of the Super-X line...really, I think it's the Supreme line that they like, as the Supreme Power Point plus's are pretty accurate from my guns as well.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not used the new silvertips but I have had excellent results from the old Super X silvertips. That in many different calibers but most fired from the 30-06.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try the Ballistic Silver Tips you may obtain better groups. I think the Ballistic Silver Tip is a more efficient killer. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

FYI, the coating on the Win SBT's is Lubalox not Moly. As to is it worth only your rifle can tell you that, buy a box and give them a go.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:09 AM

Hoppes Bench Rest Solvent does an excellent job breaking down molly or Lubalox. I have noticed firing the Win Failsafe molly coated and the BST Lubalox coated bullets that the lubalox does seem to leave less residue/fouling.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

FWIW, I tried the 150gr BST in my 7mm Rem Mag not so long ago. I couldn't keep a group under 2"....that's completely unacceptable to me....especially for "Supreme" ammo that costs $27 a box. I went to Kmart and bought cheap 150gr Power Points.....averages about an inch or less MOA. I couldn't believe it, but it worked out. I've never gotten lucky with factory loads, but it was too late in the year for me to buy the dies and components and work up a load.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:27 PM

i agree with lason i have i ruger num 1 b standerd and it shoots win fail safes very well , got bal sil tips and i could not get anything close to acc with them, ive herd the acue bond are good but have not tryed them, yet hope this helps ya.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same here In my .243 the ballistic tip shot awfull. Every other brand shot under an inch. Something about the molly coating or whatever.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:55 PM

You mentioned 50-100 paces. Is that your avg shot distance? I wouldn't spring for the BST for the simple fact what your shooting is designed for exactly how your hunting...up close and personal. I shoot a .270 win in the woods and have a 150 gr speer hot-cor handload thats tough on them whitetails and hogs. Sub-inch groups and flat shooting need not apply here. Sounds like you have a good combo.....good luck.