Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 winchester ballistic silvertip >

winchester ballistic silvertip

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

winchester ballistic silvertip

Old 06-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default winchester ballistic silvertip

im thinking of a new deer round this year incase my friend doesnt invite me down to reload...i like the performance of most hollowpoints and nosler ballistic tips...very rapid violent expansion but not exploding to pieces or anything...something accurate and something that hits like a brick......my normal ranges is 1-60yds at teh very max but who knows....i may have one cross a trail at 200 and decide to take it....does the lubalox coating foul the barrel alot? is it hard to clean like i heard moly coating is?? how do they perform on deer sized game for you and what did they shoot like? i may just shoot ballistic tips just so i dont have to take chances but i really like the looks of the winchesters lol....anyone use them?? the caliber is 3006 and gr will be 168 if i get them.....thanx alot
Old 06-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: winchester ballistic silvertip

i would rather stick with the ballistic tips and not be bothered with any sort of coating on a bullet thats just my opinion
Old 06-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

The silvertips will perform exactly like the Nosler BTs because they are the exact same bullet, just with the Lubalox coating. BTW, the coating leaves no appreciable residue in the barrel as it is basically wax.

Personally, for short range, high-powered shots, these are not my 1st choice. I just come back from hog hunting with these in .308 (168gr) and was not impressed. We took 2 hogs with them - a head shot from about 25yds and a shoulder shot from about 10yds. Both bullets did basically explode on impact - leaving a 3/4" entrance hole and a sub-caliber exit wound. The shoulder shot actually blew liver out of the entrance wound. In comparison, the last hog we took (using a 165gr Deek Shok PSP) at 30yds yielded classic bullet expansion and a tremendous wound channel.

Both animals went right down without complaint, but this is not how a bullet should perform. However I do believe they will work better on longer-range shots (say 100yds) and on thinner-skinned game.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys........i guess i should play it smart and not fix something that isnt broke....my HPs and ballistic tips always work....why change....thanx alot.....