Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger or Tikka????  which one >

Ruger or Tikka???? which one

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger or Tikka???? which one

Old 11-25-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Ruger or Tikka???? which one

I really like the look of both of these guns, but am just wondering on which one you thought was the better buy. If i bought the Tikka it would be the T-3 Lite Laminated Stainless Steal in .243, and if i bought the Ruger it would be the All Weather in .243. Just wndering on what one you thought would be better. Also how much does the ruger weight?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ruger or Tikka???? which one

i own the ruger mod m 77 laminated SS 243 and i love it very accurate gun . tikka makes a very good gun i dont own one but i have been looking for one like you talked about in 7mm-08 what ever you pick both are fine guns
Old 11-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tikka!!! My two cents.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:30 PM

whats makes one better than the other
Old 11-26-2004, 11:18 PM

I debated these same 2 guns earlier this year, except the stainless/synthetic Tikka. Depending on what week it was, it would either be a Tikka....then I'd change my mind, and want a Ruger.

Tikka:
Detachable Magazine
easy to adjust trigger
magazine & trigger guard are made out of composite plastic

Ruger
Hinged floorplate
difficult/impossible for the average guy to adjust trigger
trigger guard and floorplate made from aluminum (I think)

What made one more appealing to me was a few things. The ruger came with scope rings (Tikka I was looking at about another $100, I'm in Canada). A replacement magazine was right around the $100 dollar mark as well if I ever had the misfortune to lose the original. The Ruger was about $100 cheaper than the Tikka as well.

Also, I knew I wanted a 7mm Rem. mag. The Tikka was somewhat lighter than the ruger...6lbs compared to the 7 lbs of the ruger. that helps to soak up some of the recoil.

Ultimately though, the deciding factor was picking them both up in the gun store. The Tikka's bolt was unbelievably smooth. I liked everything about that gun, except for the palm swell that they have. instead of sitting in my palm, the bulge was on the heel of MY hand. It wasn't comfortable for me at all. The Ruger fit me like a glove, and that's what I went with.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

trigger guard and floorplate made from aluminum (I think)
No, I have three Ruger All Weathers and the trigger guard and floorplate are stainless steel. Also with the Tikka you get a one size fits all action, so you really gain nothing by shooting a short action cartridge. On top ove everything else Rugers are tough as nails and made right here in the USA. Buy American.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

No question about it. The Ruger M-77's. I agree their triggers could be allot better.Mine have be reworked to 3-3.5#'s. Great shooting rifles. Like Frizzellr said Made in USA.

Ruger Redhawk