Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger or Tikka >

Ruger or Tikka

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger or Tikka

Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Default Ruger or Tikka

So should I go with a Ruger or a Tikka in the 25-06?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger or Tikka

hmmmmmmmmmm never shot a Tikka, but I have 4 rugers and one of them is in a 25-06. I have heard and read in here from people who suggest the the rugers has a lack of accuracy, but that has not been my experience with them. All four of mine are superbly accurate, however out of the factory the do have extremely heavy triggers. They can be adjusted by an experience gunsmith so that they become an exellent trigger. Mine are set between 1 1/2 to 2 lbs with 0 creep. Personally i would not hesitate to buy another one.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeffdenson

So should I go with a Ruger or a Tikka in the 25-06?
I purchased a Tikka T3 Lite in 25-06 a few years back and can tell you it is one accurate rifle. It is definately more accurate and consistent than my Ruger MKII in 30-06. The Tikka has one of the best factory, user adjustable triggers I have seen. They even give you the directions in your owners manual on how to adjust the trigger. I have heard that the newer Rugers have an improved trigger design but I do not have any experience with them.Both rifles comefrom the factory with supplied scope rings, however Ilike Rugers system a little better. The T3 has somepolymer parts that some people do not like, such as the detatchable magazine, bolt shroud and trigger guard. In the end it is really up to you. Try handling them both and see which one you like the best.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had/have both and would probably go with the Ruger just because it has a 24" barrel . The Tikka is a light extremely accurate rifle but like Vahuntr says there is a lot of polymer involved. I am still getting used to my T3 and thinking I might never get used to it even though it is very accurate and troublefree.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you prefer the Mauser-action, and many do,I'd certainly go with the Ruger MKII.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never shot a Tikka but I've handled a couple. To me it seems that you're comparing apples and oranges.

I'd get the Ruger even though you'll have some extra money in the trigger.

Tom
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 AM

With the economy the way that it is get a Ruger and make an American worker happy. We are in a crisis and we need to stick together.I can cover my three shot groups with a quarter at 100 yards and that is good enough for me. I will usually have two shots touching and the third close by and that is with a MKII and the heavy factory trigger. I've also heard that the new LC6 triggers onthe Hawkeyesare adjustable and set at around 4 pounds from the factory.

All in all there is not a huge enough difference in accuracy. The Tikka has a free floated barrel and the Ruger does not but like I said there is not a big enough difference in accuracy to worry about.

The Hawkeye is a very nice rifle.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

The Tikka is a better rifle in my opinnion. The action is smoother than any Ruger I have handled other than the custom ruger my brother in law had done. I just think the Tikka is a better all around rifle.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like what dozen arrows said about buying American. I have handled the Tikkas and they just don't feel right to me but that's me. My Ruger shot good bone stock but after 15 min. of sanding to float the barrel and a $60 trigger job it shots submoa and as good as any Tikka.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like what dozen arrows said about buying American. I have handled the Tikkas and they just don't feel right to me but that's me. My Ruger shot good bone stock but after 15 min. of sanding to float the barrel and a $60 trigger job it shots submoa and as good as any Tikka.
My bone stock Tikka 308makes ragged one hole groups with Federal (13.59 local walmart) and Hornady ammo 150 grains 22.91 at the local gunshop. I have barely fired 2 boxes thru it . I have only seen that accuracy 2x before a Remington sendero 308and a Browning Abolt in 300 WSM.

Quick Reply: Ruger or Tikka

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.