Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle >

Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

Old 12-06-2004, 09:52 PM

Default RE: Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

LOL, ekm I would hardly consider Lazzeroni as a "...way out there... gone tomorrow..." company. The man does what he does because he enjoys it, not because he is trying to make a living. He is a multi-millionaire from industy. He isnt dependant upon guns for keeping the doors open. That alone puts him WELL ahead of most custom/wildcatters if you will.

The Warbird and up will MORE than do what you are wanting. 600yds is never easy but I cant think of anything that makes that distance easier than the 'bird. The RUMs are fine guns as well, but you will certainly need to handload them to get the max from them. As will a 30/378 Wby.

All of the above mentioned thundercannons are fun to shoot at well over a 1/4 of a mile. And they can be had in packages that make them suitable for toting out west.

That bein said, I wont quit till I have a AR50 lol,
RA
Old 12-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ELKampMaster:

I own a Weatherby Mark V Sporter .340 Wby. Mag., and I have never observed any lack of accuracy due to freebore, I seat the bullet to just fit the magazine. I have two other friends who own Weatherby Magnum calibers, and they have no problems with freebore. If I do my part, my .340 Wby. Mag. will shoot under .50" three shot groups at 100 yds., and this also goes for a friend's .340 Wby. Mag. I also have another friend who has a .338-378 Weatherby Mark V Accumark, and he shoots under .75" three shot group at 100 yds., and he is not a serious handloader he loads to save money. He also owns a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe Lazermark .378 that shoots under .75" three shot group at 100 yds.

The 300 gr. Sierra HPBT Match King will probably reach the riffling; you will just have to make sure to start at MIN LOAD watching for pressures. The bullet will not fit the magazine, but in benchrest shooting one loads rounds one by one. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

EKM,
I have a nephew who has a Remington Sniper I think it is a SPS in .300 Ultra mag.He has a Sheperd Rang scope 6-18 x40.With 200 gr noslers we were hitting milk jugs at 6 and 700 yds.It was quite simple to use and it was acurte once you figured the wind drift.

Also the Leateher wood scopes look to work or the Springfeild Armory.

As for caliber if I was going that route I would go any fast 300's(Ultra,Warbird or the 30-378)and shoot 200 gr bullets.
BBJ
Old 12-07-2004, 11:34 AM

EKM,

This is exactly why I bought the .300 Ultra. Although I bought it before I found out about the 30-378, which does out run the Ultra by 100fps. But I am still happy with getting the 300 ultra. I second BBJ's 200gr bullet remark. That is what I will be shooting as an all around load, 200 grain Nosler Accubond.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with a Winchester M70 in .308. It doesn't meat your ballistics at 600+ yards but it is a heavy accurate gun. I am under 1" at 200 yards with this gun using factory loads.

Tom

BTW - I had my bipod on there backwards at the time of picture.

Old 12-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Long Distance Hunting Rifle

for me when that question is asked i think of a 338-378 wby mag at least for long range hunting
Old 12-08-2004, 11:33 AM

Default RE: Long Distance Hunting Rifle

Thanks for your input,

I'll reconsider the Lazzeroni and look into the specialty version of the Weatherby.
Essentially, I'm looking at 308's (RUM, Lazzeroni) on the low end and 338's (RUM, Lapua, Weatherby) on the high end --- it is just a matter of how to "package" it.

Currently my rack of rifles is already "heavy" on the "mid-bore" end (338-338-375-416); hence perhaps something more down towards the "antelope" calibers [just kidding] like the 300 RUM holds a certain attraction as far as "cartridge spacing" amongst my new toys. [I don't like deer venison, but antelope is much better tasting and provides a handy, typically longer range experience here in Colorado/Wyoming as a September "warm up" to elk season --- in addition, the NOV/DEC caribou thing in Quebec just sounds like more "fun" than anyone should be allowed to have.]

Insofar as my choices in realm of the 300 RUM go, at the risk of being laughed at, I'm also looking at a Savage 116 in 300 RUM:
** Synthetic and Stainless
** 3 position tang safety that locks down the bolt (unlike the new 700s I'm told), lost an opportunity on an elk due to that once).
** Accutrigger - Remington and Ruger require trigger replacement right out of the box IMHO.
** Cheap, price allows for putting lots more $ into the ramp/mounts/scope set up.

Is this being penny wise and pound foolish for non-competition Long Range? Never owned a Savage before. BTW, the looks of a rifle means very little to me, it is the feel and the performance --- can't see the rifle when I'm in the process of shooting it.

EKM
Old 12-08-2004, 12:20 PM

EKM,

I have been told Savage is a good accurate gun. I personally really like the feel of my Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker. And at 499 I could beat the deal.