Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle >

Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

Old 11-05-2004, 09:30 PM

Default Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

If you've been practicing at 600 to 700 yards, then taking an elk at 400 becomes easy.
I'm intrigued by this, not just the hunting part but the shooting practice part, BUT I'm looking for a scope/rifle/cartridge that will deliver APPROXIMATELY 2000 fps and 2000 ft lbs accurately at 600 yards, of course the trade off is recoil versus LOTS of rounds of practice. Right now I'm looking anywhere between a 300RUM and a 338-378. PALMA and 308's are nice but DO NOT meet my criteria. It would be fun to even go to a 1000 yard range and play around. BTW I'm assuming the scope would have to be one of the types where you click in the MOA adjustments to fit your shot as a 10' bullet drop is a bit much to just "hold over"?

I looked at www.long-range.com but all I saw were girly guns and tournment paper punching. Anyone know another site or want to write a book on this one?

EKM
Old 11-06-2004, 12:04 AM

Default RE: Long Distance Rifle

This article Long Range Shooting & Hunting has been on Daniel Lilja's site for a number of years. Even though it is somewhat out of date, I'm sure there is a lot of usefull info for you there.
Don't write off the "girly guns and tournment paper punching" shooters. Look at them this way. A lot of the innovations that we take for granted with respect to our automobiles, such as tubeless tires, electronic ignition, rack and pinion steering, ect. were developed on the race track. Same thing applies to rifles. Someone a while back, I believe it was with a 6.5/.284, set a new world record, 5 shot group at 1000 yards of 1.99", if I remember right. I am sure the group was under 2". That achievement didn't come easy. It represents an amazing combination of a lot of skill, hard work, painstaking preparation, and top notch equipment, properly set up.
Myself, I'm getting all the components together for a 1000 yard BR rifle. I am going to send it all to Randy at Action Gun Works to build it. I've already got a couple rifles that shoot acceptable enough to enter in the matches. I am going to start competing next year against "girly rifles" like the one shown below. My strategy is I should be able to win because his action is painted with purple PTFE.

Old 11-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

50 BMG. Its tough to beat for distance. Don't know many girls that shoot one.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-06-2004, 12:29 AM

50 BMG. Its tough to beat for distance. Don't know many girls that shoot one.

They do. A few have been know to win matches and set records. Good reason to keep them barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. ;-)
Just kidding gals.

From the site, Liberty Belles , a truly wonderfull group of ladies
Old 11-06-2004, 08:23 AM

If you've been practicing at 600 to 700 yards, then taking an elk at 400 becomes easy.
Thanks for the links. I'll check it out.
Very nice hardware, interesting stuff, some aspects may have to be incorporated.

If I was interested in pure benchrest and 1000 yard, then I'd probably go with the 50BMG (matches my personality), but at 33 pounds or so I consider it unfeasible for hunting use.

Not interested in pure benchrest shooting even though a considerable amount of bench and field practice would be involved. All I need is a lousy 6" or so group at 500 to 600 yards. This is going to be a heavy hunting rifle max weight 18 pounds (my 375 H&H M70 is 13 pounds ready to go and is very doable) something that can be carried in miles, shot off of jerry rigged "field bench", a rock, a backpack, or a tree while standing --- I will need to be able to get my hand around the forearm or support the forearm with a hand brace onto the side of an aspen tree.

Greg, I've looked at the 300RUM #'s, not bad, you already have a M700, so if I may ask what is the big deal about a Sendero?

EKM
Old 11-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Long Distance Hunting Rifle

.338 RUM???? Ballistics with the new 225gr accubond are very, very impressive.
2500ft/lbs at 500 yards?
Old 11-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

I love my 338 RUM.

It is one heck of a shooter.

hunter338
Old 11-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will not shoot at game farther than 500 yards myself but my 7mmsyt's and 300ultramags have done a good job for me out to that distance.

Quick Reply: Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.