Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle >

Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

Old 11-06-2004, 11:59 PM

Default RE: Long Distance Hunting Rifle

My observation is that staying with stalwart manufacturers (not the Lazzeroni way out there --- gone tomorrow --- stuff) that the 300RUM rules the .30 cal. category for performance.

When going to 338, the RUM loses out to the Lapua and Weatherby, though it is superior to the 338WinMag. For this rifle I figure I need the top of the group without waking up one morning finding out what was a production cartridge is now a wildcat.

7mm's strike me as running low on energy at range for what I say I want to do; they do hold up on velocity though.

If CZ chambered a 300RUM or 338 Lapua, then the search would be over in a flash. Not looking for a custom gun; I want the basics straight out of the box. Remington may be able to do that with the 300RUM though my Remington rifles are not my favorite rifles....

What about the scope end for that kind of shooting; I'm really not interest in doing "hold over" --- I want to crank it L&R and U&D and then return to "zero" when done. I'm guessing the scope will equal the cost of the gun....

EKM
Old 11-07-2004, 05:01 AM

Default RE: Long Distance Hunting Rifle

One word. Nightforce Check out the NP-R2 reticle. Each of those hash mark are 2moa at 22x. The NXS 5.5-22x scope has 100 mins of elevation travel. The 3.5-15x56mm has 110 min. of travel. The deal is, you mount on a sloped rail. 40 or 45 min of slope puts you near the end of the lower adjustment. Much more than 50 mins of slope, you have to hold under to shoot at 100 yards. You set your zero at whatever, lets say 300 yards. Then you loosen the elevation turret screw and set the turret to zero. Now, you have close to 100 minutes of elevation to crank up. Whatever your choice of scope, the optics must be top notch. As you get close to the edge of of the objective lense, lesser scopes loose brightness. Also, when you return to zero, you want to return to zero. When you buy a scope like this, you are paying for clarity, precision, repeatablity. There are other options, but this is one of the best. Leupold makes some nice high end scopes, so does IOR Valdada
Oh yea. You will also need to go with a rock solid, stress free, mounting system for your scope.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:44 PM

Default RE: Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

A sloped mount to "put" you scope near the bottom of its elevation adjustment.
That is a pretty smart idea.

EKM
Old 11-07-2004, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

A sloped mount to "put" you scope near the bottom of its elevation adjustment.
That is a pretty smart idea.

EKM
Well, I didn't think think of it. I am just begining to learn.
Another twist is a sloped rail to put your scope in the center of it's optics at a desired or anticipated optimum range. Magnification is always a trade off. The more you magnify, the more resolution you lose. Scopes are brighter at the center of their optics. A 1000 yard competitor wants a rail that will put his optics right on or near center of elevation adjustment at 1000 yards. For .50BMG, a 30 minute rail is usually desired for 1000yrds. There are flatter shooting cartridges, at least to 1000. I believe a 6mm/300WBY mag has a 20 moa compensation to be zeroed a 1000 yards. But it's a barrel burner, and the higher velocity of the 6mm/300 loses out to the higher B.C. of the .50 BMG farther down range.
You don't have to have a B.R. rifle to shoot long range, and as you pointed out that would not be desirable. Your set up would more than likely resemble a varmint rig, such as the barrel profile and the type of stock. To do this right, your equipment will need to be good, and properly set up. You will need to research what works and what doesn't. It won't come cheap, either in time or money.

A Canadian sniper (they are among the best) took out an Al Qaeda terrorist in Afganistan at 2548 yards (.50 BMG), if I recall correctly. 1rst shot cut a cord holding the Al Quaeda's napsack, a correction was made, 2nd shot took off his head. I'm personally not interested in the military aspect of long range shooting, but that is an astounding feat. The military was developing .50 BMG sniper rifles in the 60's, but really did not know what to do with them. The guys involved in the F.C.S.A. early on helped out our Military with the knowledge that they had gleaned from target shooting with the .50 BMG. Now they (and us late comers) are being vilified for owning and shooting a rifle by those who claim it was designed for sniping, when actually it was adapted to sniping from target shooting. Ironic, isn't it.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:01 AM

Why do you need "2000 ftlbs at 600 yrds"?

You say you want a factory gun but you also want it to be heavy, factory guns dont come heavy.

Since you want a factory gun you are limited to a 30 cal with 220gr bullets (240s will require a faster twist) or a 338 cal with 250gr bullets (300s will require a faster twist).

I would suggest a 700 sendero in 300winmag with 220gr Sierra Matchkings with a 4.5-14*50mm Leupold LR scope. Definatly get a bipod, and I wouldnt worry about getting sloped bases if your only shooting 600 yards.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:13 AM

Castman,

This one has been "sitting" for a while. Nice of you to "pick it up." Your post appears to be a combination of honest well intended advice combined with some skepticism, let me explain where I'm trying to go with things.

Why do you need "2000 ftlbs at 600 yrds"?
This rifle would be for both target and selected hunting situations. I currently hunt elk with rifles that deliver 4,000 to 6,000 pounds at the muzzle for game at ranges 250 yards or so --- I just kind of like that kind of power, not likely I will ever be accused of being undergunned; however, I recognize that long range shooting "weakens" all rifles to a mere shadow of their former "200 yard selves". At long range I want a goodly amount of "thump" left over after the long trip.

You say you want a factory gun but you also want it to be heavy, factory guns dont come heavy.
That is an easy one. Some are heavier than others for example 700 Remington Police models in 300RUM with bull barrels. Weight I would add to the degree necessary if I deem the rifle not heavy enough, heavy was not a "from the factory" requirement. I currently have a M70 375HH though that weighs 12 pounds with scope, ammo, sling --- IMHO that is pretty heavy for a "stock" unaltered rifle.

Since you want a factory gun you are limited to a 30 cal with 220gr bullets (240s will require a faster twist) or a 338 cal with 250gr bullets (300s will require a faster twist).
We agree some here but not in entirely:
7mmSTW 160 gr. TSX 2180 pounds at 600 yards (2477 fps). [TKO=16] Recoil 19 lb/9 fps.
300 RUM 180 gr. TSX 2494 pounds at 600 yards (2498 fps). [TKO=20] Recoil 27 lb/11 fps.
338 Lapua 210gr. TSX 2702 pounds at 600 yards (2407 fps). [TKO=24] Recoil 34 lb/13 fps.
(May have to substitute the 338RUM since Lapua is kinda scarce, numbers are a little less though.)

Ballistically I find the 220/240gr 308s and the 250 gr 338s to tend to "fall out of the sky" too rapidly plus most "factory rifles" will have twist rates oriented to bullet weights closer to the mainstream.

Nice recommendation of the 700 Sendero, I've looked at them. However I would probably go with cartridges mentioned above which are saltier than the venerable 300WinMag. Your mention of scope would be quite nice.

I wouldnt worry about getting sloped bases if your only shooting 600 yards.
Well, there comes the rub --- this kind of rifle is already out of the mainstream (the way I'd set it up) and thus a "specialty rifle" --- within the realm of its specialty, i.e. long range I want it to where if I want to go out to the 1000 yard range and play that it is just a matter of consulting the charts and cranking in the additional MOA's into the turrets, use of the ramp assures I won't run out of elevation adjustment in order to "hold dead on" the target.

It is a project that is "on the drawing board" and I don't know a ton about long range shooting. Now that my "blue print" is a bit more available, any continued critique/observations are welcome.

Thanks,
EKM
Old 12-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2004, 02:14 PM

Greg,

You’ll find the front range of Colorado to be fairly liberal (too many Californians in the last 15 years) and finding a great place to go shoot is not easy. Oklahoma may have a more gun friendly culture. I think there may be one public short range on Rampart Range road (State Park) down towards Colorado Springs; however, if you are looking for serious shooting facilities you will likely have to join a club and do some driving. Best to just resign yourself to it, ante up, and get to using it --- cost of doing “business.” I’ve tried short cutting the process, going up into the "close in" mountains on public land and it is just not a good idea --- you may have the right to shoot, but you piss a lot of “non-gun” folks off --- just not a good idea, as each shot just echoes forever --- the front range population just saturates any close in mountain territory. Best to head east out into the Great American desert (Ben Lommond and Colorado Rifle Club) where it is not a problem. Unfortunately, to make it worthwhile you need to pack beverages and food and just make a “day” of it.
Colorado Rifle Club
(Stiff and Formal but GREAT facilities)
75000 East 112th Avenue
Byers, Colorado
45 minutes east of Denver
1000 yard

970-663-4779
http://www.crci.org/

Ben Lomond Gun Club
(Good Ole Boy and More “Loosey Goosey”)
10511 E Tanglewood Rd
Franktown, CO
45 minutes east of Castle Rock
300 yard (They were talking long range at one point)

(303) 688-8511
http://www.blgc.org/

BTW, I've been to Dragonman's --- the guy is a legend, you should visit at least once before it goes away --- he is a class III arms dealer and has full auto stuff you can rent (on premise/under supervision only) and has "short ranges" cut into a hilltop east of Colorado Springs, but for a hunter/marksman looking to sharpen up I don't think it is likely to be what you are hunting for.

Good Luck,
EKM
Old 12-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ElKampMaster:

If you handload, I would not worry about calibers turning wildcat. I would go with a .338-378 Wby. Mag. in a Weatherby Mark V Accumark, or a Weatherby Mark V Threat Response Magnum Custom. I have data for a .338-378 Wby. Mag. pushing a 250 gr. Sierra bullet at 3152 f/s, a 275 gr. Speer bullet at 3,088 f/s, and a 300 gr. Barnes Original bullet at 2998 f/s; all three loads will be devastating on elk although I would use different bullets than the ones mentioned (the Speer 275 gr., and the 300 gr. Barnes are no longer made) . I would use a 250 gr. Barnes XFB, or a 275 gr. Swift A-Frame for hunting. For long range target I would use a Sierra 250 gr. HPBT Match King, or 300. gr HPBT Match King. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:42 PM

Handloader1,

Wow, I appreciate that ..... a "long" post for you, some research in it too! Thanks!

I assume the threat response version is a "police type" heavy barrel.
Question, what do you think of Weatherby's free bore factor for long range shooting accuracy?

EKM

Quick Reply: Heavy Long Distance/Hunting Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.