Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

$150 scope

Old 11-03-2004, 04:33 PM

Default RE: $150 scope

Generally, best to work the merits and demerits of the discussion without totally crossing the thin red line into the realm of personal attack. Generally destroys all objectivity and reduces the value of the information put forth IMHO. But boys will be boys from time to time.

Personally I will probably continue to let Leupold continue to steal vast amounts of money from me as when it has come "show time" in far away places and under trying circumstances, they have never let me down whilst I have sat around campfires on these same ventures with other hunters who were crying in their soup about their units letting them down -- 10,000 foot changes in elevation from home, horseback scabbards, falls in deadfall, airline abuse, etc.

I must admit though, if I had a low recoil rifle (say 300WinMag or less) that I was needing to put a scope on and couldn't get it done with the ones I have laying around and was short on budget, then JamesB almost has me talked into the Bushnell 3200/4200 thing.

EKM
Old 11-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

ELK I have heard good things about Bushnells Elite scopes. I couldn't agree with you more!

As for the other guy, IDA, I guess I lose patience with someone who actually believes there is no difference in a $40.00 Tasco or a Zeis, Swarvoski, Leupold or Bushnells elite series. These are usually the same guys who can cover five rounds with a nickel at 300 yards. As I said earlier, as with most things you get what you pay for. If he's happy with it then it's the right scope for him.

Good luck hunting!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not owned any of the newer Redfield, Weaver or Burris scopes. This said, they were at one time some of the best scopes going. My oldest scope is a Redfield Tracker which lived on top of my 416 Rem Mag, 3 338 Win Mags and two each of the 300 Win Mag and 7MM Rem Mag. I had a couple of the old K4 and K6 Weavers that you couldn't hurt with a club. As a dealer I sold quite a few Burris scopes with no complaints. I have a couple Leupold M8 scopes and a couple of 3x9 Luepolds. The balance of my glass is Swift and a bunch of Bushnells none of which have ever let me down. My Bushnells run the course from 20.00 to 300.00. I have not had any problem with the Simmons Aetecs either. I have two that have been through the mill on Encores and Contenders. Maybe I am just lucky but I have only wrecked one scope in 48 years of using scopes. That was a Simmons that I forgot to tighten the ring screws on a 35 Remington Contender handgun. OOOPPPS.