Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Shotgun To Buy? >

Which Shotgun To Buy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Shotgun To Buy?

Old 10-20-2004, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Which Shotgun To Buy?

ORIGINAL: Prarie_Boy1
I am trying to decide between a remington 870 express or a Mosberg 835 crown grade ulti mag shotgun. .....
Rem.870 - is there anything else?

Okay, I know, Mossberg makes a pretty good gun, and I've owned a couple of Ithaca's in the past that were really good too. But I've had a Remington 870 for over 25 years
now, and no problems.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:35 PM

I hate to say it, but again, if your going to spend that money... spend an extra $20 bucks and get a browning or benelli... You'll be mutch happier.

As for your actual question... I think the 870 is a more durable gun. Three of the guyz at my deer camp hunt with 870's and two with mossberg 500's. These guyz with the 870's put those things through hell and they still work like a charm. They pump losens up a bit on them but i guess thats pretty common. With the mossberg 500's (which have a very similar action as the 835) the pumps have a lot of twist to them. My father-in-law has the 835 ultamag turkey special (or soemthing like that) and he loves the gun except for the tang safety. He says when he click over the safety while turkey hunting it's too loud.

The stock is a bit short on the 870. I think it's good if you do alot of hunting with your winter coat but for me, i think i couldn't do much upland shooting with a stock this short. It doesn't seem to swing for me well at the range.

I like the grip and the forearm on my BPS. It's a lot thicker and feels better in my hand then the 870 or 835.

Anyways, these guns you mention kind of have different purposes, the 870 being more of an all around gun. But, they can both be pretty versitle. All in all, i'd say get which ever one fits you better!

Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:23 AM

I own an 870 myself. Never had a problem with it. Used corn stalks for plugs, dropped in the mud, cleaned it in a lake, just keeps on kicking.

The only thing I would sugest is to stay away from the 3 1/2" pumps. Two of my buddies have them and, due to years of shooting other pumps, short stroke them and jam shells. Both use the Benelli but neither think it has anything to do with the gun just the length of the slide.

Also one of the guys is a small dude and he traded his in for a Beretta 390. $500 at gander mountain.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:36 AM

I have both a mossberg and a remington 870 express magnum with a fully rifled slug barrel. In my opinion I like my remington 870. I have more expensive guns and cheaper guns, and that one for me does the best job. I use 2.75 federal slugs and i shoot around a 2 in. group at 100 yards. I know every gun shoots differently, But for me the 870 does a damn fine job. It knocks the deer flat on ther ass!