Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Shotgun To Buy? >

Which Shotgun To Buy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Shotgun To Buy?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Which Shotgun To Buy?

I am trying to decide between a remington 870 express or a Mosberg 835 crown grade ulti mag shotgun.
the remington is listed as-$369.99
and the mossberg- $386.99
thanks!
Old 10-19-2004, 01:31 PM

Default RE: Which Shotgun To Buy?

Hello,
For starters, I think you're being overcharged for these shotguns, because a Remington 870 express' retail price is $332, I don't know about the Mossberg's price.
As far as the shotguns themselves, they're both great, it comes down to the features you want. A Remington is only chambered in 3" shells, but can shoot slugs. The Mossberg can shoot 3 1/2" shells, but can't shoot slugs due to the overboring.
Both have lots of aftermarket products readily available. However, if you want to add a magazine extension, than neither of these shotguns will work. While Remington magazine extensions are made by Tac-Star, they don't work on newer Remington shotguns. The magazine tube has dimples that block the shells from moving in the magazine tube, this can be solved by drilling them off. But you probably don't want to take a drill to your new shotgun. And as far as I know, the Mossberg doesn't have any magazine extensions. If you want a mag. extension, you'd have to go Winchester.
The Mossberg comes with a 10 year warranty, the Remington with a 2 year. Both are good quality though.
Good luck deciding.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 835, I brought years ago, I got the combo package, barrel with 3 choke tubes, and the cantilever rifled barrel for somewhere around $320. It shoots great, but is heavy, I don't even use it for deer anymore, I use my Remington 11-87 SPS
Old 10-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here, the Academy has 870 express super magnums for $277.87 and mossberg 835 for $338.86 (in shadow grass). I think you have a little room to negotiate prices down some. And the 870 listed here will shoot 3.5" magnums according to the ad.

I have never used a Mossberg, so I can't comment there. Remington has made the 870 for about 50 years, without much change. There's a reason for that. The 870 is about the most durable gun I can think of. It is next to impossible to make one not function properly.

Here is the link if you want to see the ads:

http://www.academy.com

The guns are listed in the weekly ad a couple of pages deep.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:36 PM

I have hunted with Mossberg shotguns for about 20 years and they have never failed me in any way. I don't have alot of expirience with 870s but I believe them to be equal to Mossbergs in quality. Either one is good but I definitely recommend getting one that shoots 3.5"mag if you plan on using it for turkey or waterfowl.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Out of those i would have to say the remington, but have you ever thought of the browning Bps? i have one and i love it, its not only for left handed shooters. i love the bottom projection it keeps you from getting distracted form ejecting shells.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:22 PM

Nearly 30 years ago I had to choose between a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 500. The Remington was much prettier and a bit more expensive, the Mossberg plainer, less expensive but equipped with a Moly Choke.

I ended up buying the Mossberg. My buddy bought the Remington. We often traded guns when out hunting or shooting clay birds, and I found some interesting differences. I discovered that I really prefer the Mossberg's tang safety to the Remington's cross-bolt safety. The tang safety is natural and quick; I actually missed a couple of quail using his Remington because I was fumbling with the safety. I'm sure I could get used to a cross bolt, but...

On the other hand, the Mossberg is a much "looser" gun than the Remington was. It rattles, and there is considerable twist in the slide. My buddy's Remington was solid as a rock. Still, I have never had any failures with the Mossberg that weren't a result of me not cleaning mud and dirt out of the action. It is not a very pretty gun, especially lately, but I keep it because it fits me well and I can hit with it.

I really doubt that you would go far wrong with either choice.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

I like them both.

I guess out of the two that you list. I would go with the Mossberg.

I think that it is a better buy.

hunter338
Old 10-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

For that kinda dough (I'll reiterate what others have said---the prices seem high) you may want to look at Benelli, Beretta, or Ithaca.

I would personally rate those 3 higher than Rem or Moss, and are within that $350-500 price range...
Old 10-19-2004, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

I would go witht the one with 2 slides. when doing some heavy pumping a gun with 1 slide the slide can bend and you have to spend time bending it back stright. with 2 slide you dont have to worry about it. Look at the browning

Quick Reply: Which Shotgun To Buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.