Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Unbelievable Moly story >

Unbelievable Moly story

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Unbelievable Moly story

Old 03-04-2002, 08:22 AM
bigcountry

Default Unbelievable Moly story

Well, I saw something this weekend that sold me on at least looking further into Moly. The range officer at Carroll County Gun range, Jim, shoots 22-250 at long ranges. He molys himself. He tells me that he don't clean out the moly at all out of his barrel. He says after shooting, he runs a bore snake thru and one dry patch and don't oils at all in the bore. I asked how long he has been doing this in disbelief. He said said for about 1000 rounds. So thinking this is just another bull story by a fellow shooter, I tell him to prove it. He took that cold gun and shot 3 shots at 200 yards with about 1" groups. He said he can do it all day long. He said people defeat the purpose using Kroil and other cleaners to get the Moly out. He said, once you get the moly impregnated in the barrel, there will be no copper fouling. But it will take some time. It was unbeleivable. I am still sceptical. I kinda believe that man is taking that gun home every night and cleaning out all the moly and fouling coming back in the range every morning telling people this story.

What do ya think?

Old 03-04-2002, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Unbelievable Moly story

It's my understanding that, in order to get the maximum benefit of using moly, both the bore & bullet need to be treated........so what Jim told you makes sense. But like you, I have a hard time just letting stuff stay in the barrel like that - I'd worry about copper & powder residue that might be trapped next to the metal under a layer of moly.

Now they do make a moly paste that you can run down your barrel before shooting the coated bullets - similar to "seasoning" a muzzleloader barrel. That seems to be the way to go.......coat a clean barrel and then shoot the coated bullets.

However, I would still clean and strip all the moly out once or twice a year to be on the safe side - better to put in a little extra cleaning time, than it is to find a problem a little too late!