Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Burris or Bushnell? >

Burris or Bushnell?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Burris or Bushnell?

Old 10-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Burris or Bushnell?

I'm topping an Ithaca 12ga with a new scope. I was lucky enough to pick up a Storm promotional guide series, with both the 24" ported turkey barrel and the 24" rifled slug barrel, synthetic stock/forearm and parkerized receiver, cheap this Spring as an end-of-promotion deal.

The receiver came drilled and tapped, so I'm topping it with something

Right now, I can get either a 2-7X32 Bushnell Elite 3200 for $155 or a Burris FF II 3-9X40 for $170. I don't want to go much over 200-225 for the scope system and I'm saving myself about $50 for the mount & rings, so 175 is about top-end for the actual scope. I've also looked at the Nikon's, but I think these are the two best choices for the money.

I know the Burris is a better deal, but I'm concerned it may be too much scope for the gun. This gun will be utilized for whitetails and turkeys, and most shots will be under 50 yards. However, I know from the range that I can punch holes pretty well at almost 150 yards with Sabot slugs, hence even though I have 10-20 vision now in my "shooter's eye" I'm getting older and a scope would be ideal at ranges longer than 75 clicks.

Ideally, I would get the scope that suits both hunts, hence the hedge towards the Elite. However, I'm leaning towards the Burris because of the quality. These are also internet orders, so I don't have the opportunity to look at either scopes, which also pushes me towards the Burris name & reputation. I may also get the Burris for whitetails and switch to a red-dot for turks---gotta site-in with slugs before season anyway

I would love some opinions on which way to choose, somewhat ASAP as I don't want to miss out on the special prices...

S&R
Old 10-10-2004, 08:51 PM

Default RE: Burris or Bushnell?

I'd prefer a 3-9x40mm, but in the Bushnell Elite. I've had two Burris scopes break on me over the years. The reticle kicked loose in both scopes. I've yet to have an Elite break and I've used them on everything from spring powered airguns which are very hard on scopes up to magnum rifles.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go for the Burris Fullfield II since all Lenses are Multicoated. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

I have burris Fullfeild II scopes on my 22-250 w/ballistic plex, and 3-9x40 plex on a 35 whelen. I have always been very impressed with burris optics. I used to have a Elite 4200 6-24x40 that was a great scope also. I am not sure what kind of warrantee the Bushnell have but I will vouch for the burris "forever" warrantee. Either scope will work just fine for you but the 2-7x33 might be a little more compact, big scopes have no place on shotguns. I would look around for a 1.5-5x20 or something in that range for a shotgun myself. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Josh,

Yeah, that was my biggest concern. I do not know of anyone with a 3-9X40 on a shotgun, especially for turkeys.

The 2-7X32 Elite 3200 is actually considered an "ideal shotgun scope" by Bushnell themselves, so I don't think it's too much scope. It could also, ideally, give me the range I'm looking for at longer distances.

The Burris is just a hard deal to turn down for that price...[:@]

It's also the "made in China" Vs. the "made in USA" thing, too, ya' know
Old 10-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both scopes are made overseas..I can't believe that burris still claims made in the us when their fullfield II's are made in japan.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would take a Burris over Bushnell anyday...