Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 9th Caliber opinion: The .22 Hornet >

9th Caliber opinion: The .22 Hornet

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9th Caliber opinion: The .22 Hornet

Old 10-09-2004, 06:17 AM

Default 9th Caliber opinion: The .22 Hornet

These are a fun little popper. They are great for areas where you are shootig around barns, graineries, etc. Thanks to their limited range. They are also not nearly as loud as a .223 or similar rifle. The two biggest draw backs are the cost of rifles. Nearly all Hornets are chambered in fairly expensive rifles. The Ruger 77/22 Hornet, the CZ series, etc. The exceptions are single shots like the N.E.F, and the new Savage model 40. Who likes these little guys?
Old 10-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 9th Caliber opinion: The .22 Hornet

I love the little Hornet. I have had several of them and I shot the biggest Buck of my life with a little Savage 340 in 22 Hornet. It turns out that it was not a legal caliber to use for deer hunting but I didn't know that until several years later. 22 centerfires were legal in our state but the Hornet was just below the required ftlbs of energy. One shot in the neck dropped him like a rock. I never used it for deer again but I shot a ton of prarie dogs and skunks with it. I just have a barrel for my NEF in 22 Hornet now. One of the fun calibers. I reload for it and have never bought a box of factory ammo for one.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a use for one. Might be something to play with later on though.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was back to shooting the flats in Nebraska it would be a must have. Extra range and quiet enough it doesn't shake up the goat herders. It is on my wish list.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:20 PM

I love the .22 Hornet!

I had one for about a year when I needed a gun without recoil for deer hunting, due to a broken back. Obviously it's not an ideal deer caliber, but it did the trick for me. When my back healed, my father handed down his .30-06 FN to me, and traded in the Browning .22 Hornet for a Browning .30-06 with the BOSS system. My father wasn't long trading in that gun for a Sako of the same caliber. The BOSS system was just too hard on the ears, and also there were other problems such as cartridges not feeding well. Anyway, that's another story.

I miss the .22 Hornet, and wish I could have kept it as a varmint gun. It was a blast to shoot, and a real tack driver. I wonder why it doesn't seem to be a very popular caliber?
Old 10-11-2004, 09:27 AM
DM

I've had several over the years, and i've never much cared for them. For me, it's not enough more than a 22Win mag, and i have to reload it to be able to afford it. Then those long necks can be a pain, as they are easily ruined while seating a bullet.

Before i had a really good pellet rifle, i use to put a mag primer in a hornet case, and with NO powder, use a 22 cal pellet turned up side down and pushed in "flush" to the top of the neck with my thumb. It makes a quiet low powered paper pumcher.

I doupt i'd ever own another one, if i had to use it that is,

Drilling Man