Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bushnell,Burris,Simmons, or Leupold? >

Bushnell,Burris,Simmons, or Leupold?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bushnell,Burris,Simmons, or Leupold?

Old 12-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bushnell,Burris,Simmons, or Leupold?

I picked up a .270 BAR safari and I am looking to put a scope on it. I like the Bushnell Elite. I have a Leupold VX1 4x12x40, and I like it. Burris looks like a good scope. I've had a simmons aetec and one of the plastic dials broke. Which one should I go with for less than $200.
Thanks Borty
Old 12-09-2004, 08:04 PM

Default RE: Bushnell,Burris,Simmons, or Leupold?

I bought my dad a leupold vx1 4-12x40 for christmas last year. The scope is excellent except leupold must use cheaper glass because the light tranmission is not as a good as any of the vx2's that I have. I have also owned an aetec, liked it alot. You have consider spending the extra 100 dollars and pick up a vx2. Just my opinion.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:17 PM

Check this comparison: http://www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield.html

I just got that scope in 3-9x40mm and with a spotting scope; there was a deal that still may be running for $200. Enjoy!
I have put it side by side to my father-in-law's VariX III Leupold and I can't tell the difference. Actually, I like my Ballistic Plex reticle better.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

For under $200 the Burris fullfield II is the best scope of the bunch with the Bushnell running a close second. The Burris has a longer eye relief then the Bushnell.

Bearbasin.com has the fullfield II for $169.00 for a gloss and $179.00 for the matt finish.

If you don't mind having a ballistic plex reticle you can get the fullfield II scope with a free 20X50 spotting scope for$196.95.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield.html
Old 12-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like we posted the same thing at the same time.

Great minds think alike I guess.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:29 PM

I'll take that! lol
I just bought that set actually, from Natchez. Great scope. When I compare it to my wife's stepdad's (neighbor from whom I bought a goldfish...just kidding! lmao) Vari-X III Leupold it's actually "better" in terms of clarity. Granted, I don't have such little niceties as the adjustment knobs (would cost $80 to install on the Burris according to them), but in terms of the optics themselves, I couldn't see why spend more. I have a scope with a lifetime warranty, Made in USA, and just as good as if not better optics than some costing twice as much. Nikon also had my attention, but I just couldn't pass up the deal on this Burris.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

How do you like the ballistic plex reticle?

Does it slow you down at all when you need to make a quick shot? Are the other hash marks distracting at all?

Thinking real hard about puting on n my 300 WSM. And a free spotting scope too boot.

BTW how do you like the spotting scope? I have been saying I was going to buy one for years now and I can't think of a better way to get one.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:59 PM

Unfortunately I have yet to shoot with it, sorry, just received it on Monday.
I like the hash marks though, not distracting at all, and plan on making use of them coupled with my rangefinder to more accurately judge and make my shot(s). The spotting scope is pretty good, lots of adjustment and the FOV is quite wide. I think it's a killer deal on very good optics.
Sorry I couldn't give you a real world scenario evaluation, all I have done is compared it to other scopes and look through it a whole lot in different lighting conditions just to get a feel for it (my wife thinks I'm nuts for walking everywhere with it). This weekend I plan on mounting it onto a Rem 700 Police model in 7mmRM and shooting, I'll be sure to report back.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cool deal I'll be waiting to read about it.

Take the spotting scope with you also and see how it performs when you are actually trying to see small details. Like bullet holes on a target.

Either way I think this will be my Christmas present this year.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:15 AM

Absolutely. I plan to do the following: Use my rangefinder to ascertain distances accurately and see where that falls on the hash marks to start using them effectively. Yes, I will be using the spotting scope to see exactly where I'm at that way it also gets used. Good thing I'm bringing two people with me, I ran out of hands!
I used the spotting scope already to look at the edges of numbers on a house around 167 yards away and I could see where the paint was flaking off. Pretty good to me.

Quick Reply: Bushnell,Burris,Simmons, or Leupold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.