Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Magnaporting, muzzle brake ???'s >

Magnaporting, muzzle brake ???'s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Magnaporting, muzzle brake ???'s

Old 09-06-2004, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Magnaporting, muzzle brake ???'s

After shooting an S&W .500 with a muzzle brake, and finding the felt recoil was not much more than my .44 mag. RSRH, I am seriously thinking of having one installed on my gun. I know, they are noisy, and I've always hated muzzle brakes for this reason.
But, if I can get a lot of recoil reduction, my .44 should be a *****cat to shoot!
Magnaport's web site says that they can reduce recoil 20%.
Are there any other muzzle brake options that can do as much or more, at a reasonable price?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Magnaporting, muzzle brake ???'s

I remember reading that they Magnaport cannot work on a 500 SW, due to some double barreled design or something... I think it was in Guns and Ammo if I remember correctly.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have not read that Newguy. The S&W .500 that I shot was not Magnaported, but it had some type of muzzle break installed! I wish I had looked at it more closely. I'm not sure if it was a screw in type, or not. It had 3 slotted holes on the top, at the muzzle! It did a great job of taming the recoil! I've heard that the .500 was very unpleasant to shoot, but with this muzzle brake, it was not much more than a .44! As I said, Magnaporting states that they will reduce recoil about 20% for about 115.00$. I'm really wondering if there is some other type of muzzle brake I could install for the comparable amount of money, that would reduce recoil even more?
Old 09-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

They can add on to the barrel, the just cannot alter the original barrel... So what you are describing seems reasonable. I think that is an option out of S&W factory shop.