Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Muzzle Brake?? >

Muzzle Brake??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzle Brake??

Old 09-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Muzzle Brake??

I am thinking of putting a muzzle brake on my Ruger MK77 Stainless .338 Win Mag......anybody have a good suggestions an which might be the best fit for me. I obviously want it to be stainless and match the contour of the barrel.

Thanks GHJ
Old 09-21-2005, 03:27 PM

Default RE: Muzzle Brake??

If anything, I would have it Mag-na-Ported. The just cut the slots into your barrel. But, in a reality, I would never have a muzzle brake or porting on any hunting rifle. It simply does too much damage to unprotected ears, and are you really willing to use hearing protectors while hunting? But, it is your choice. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:33 PM
bigcountry

I have seen the Vais and KDF to be the most effective. KDF was the loudest too.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000
It simply does too much damage to unprotected ears
To borrow a phrase from our good friend REBAL HOG.......

DITTO!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Especially if you are between two boulders, Ouch!!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000
It simply does too much damage to unprotected ears
To borrow a phrase from our good friend REBAL HOG.......

DITTO!

dit·to (dt)
n. pl. dit·tos
1. The same as stated above or before.[/align]2. A duplicate; a copy.[/align]3. A pair of small marks ( " ) used to indicated that the word, phrase, or figure given above is to be repeated.[/align][/align]adv.
As before.[/align][/align]tr.v. dit·toed, dit·to·ing, dit·tos
To duplicate (a document, for example).[/align][/align]
Old 09-21-2005, 09:02 PM

If you must have a muzzle brake, the Vias is the best. Magna-porting is not as effective; and if you don't want the muzzle brake on there all the time, you can screw a knurled thread protector in its place.

I would strongly recommend you consider the alternative of getting a Caldwell Lead Sled for all the shooting you will do with this gun outside the hunting fields. If you have that plastic stock with the narrow hard rubber pad, get a McMillan stock. Put a Simm's recoil pad on it. Stay away from the muzzle brake, unless you plan to hunt with ear protection.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:08 PM

Since you are in Colorado, i would take a trip to Hi tech customs in Colorado Springs.their website is www.htcustoms.com they have a threaded muzzle brake, that comes with a cap you can use instead of the muzzle brake. So you can use the brake at the range, and then put the cap on when you hunt...
Old 09-21-2005, 09:30 PM

A threaded on muzzle brake may actaully help the accuracy of your gun because it will add weight to the front and dampen the vibration of the barrel. However you can not shoot with it off or it may affect the impact points of your ammo.

Same concept as the BOSS system by browning.

Paul
Old 09-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the field you can use a Walkers Game Ear which will protect your hearing. If you purchase the Walkers Game Ear II, it will protect your hearing, and increases hearing up to 7 times. Go to www.walkersgameear.com . www.natchezss.com has the best price I have found. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Muzzle Brake??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.