Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Muzzle brake???? >

Muzzle brake????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzle brake????

Old 08-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Muzzle brake????

I am considering getting a muzzle break or Boss installed on my M70 7MM. Does anyone have any approximate prices on retrofitting to a muzzle break?
Also, about how much would this reduce the recoil of a 7MM Rem. mag.?
Old 08-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzle brake????

You can expect about 30 to 40% recoil reduction from a good muzzlebrake.The negative is that noise and muzzle blast will increase dramatically.You must wear hearing protection for every shot fire even while hunting or your hearing will be destroyed in short order.If you intend to take off the brake for hunting you will have to sight in the rifle again as the point of impact can change by adding a brake.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:57 PM

I had my A-Bolt fitted with a muzzlebrake. The gunsmith did an excellent job, and now my .30-06 recoils like a .243. Very worthwhile investment. Oh, and everything Stubblejumper said, too.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:07 PM

i have a muzzle brake on my 7mmSTW it kicks like a 243. the only set back is it will be loud very very very loud i have to wear ear protection wile hunting
Old 08-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys! Every time I start weighing my options, I decide against a muzzle brake! I can handle the recoil, I just don' t think I can handle the noise!
I try to be careful to protect what hearing I have left!
Working in noisy plants and irresponsible shooting without hearing protection in my younger days have already taken enough of my hearing away!
Old 08-09-2003, 08:21 PM

Have a brake on my 338. The recoil is around 30/06 level, but the report and muzzle blast is right in your face. Not fun to shoot anymore. Hunting only. I think it cost about $160 out the door installed.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

i had one installed on my rem. 700 .300 rem. ultramag and for a stainless brake it costed me 150.00 dollars , but unlike the others i haven' t noticed to much of a raise in muzzle noise , i wear hearing protection at the range and when i' m in the field without it , i don' t seem to have any problems with the noise .
and my .300 ultra recoils about as hard as a .270/.280 does
Old 08-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll also vouch for the increased noise. I don' t think I' d hunt with a muzzle brake. I' ve already lot enough hearing from my time in the Corps and I can' t afford to lose any more. The last time I was at the range I ended up on the bench next to a guy shooting a .300 Win Mag with a muzzle brake (funny how that was the only bench open at the time). Every time he fired that thing I could feel the concussion in my chest. Thankfully I have a very good set of ear muffs. It' s all a matter of personal preference though. If you want to use a muzzlebrake, more power to you. I' ll just take the recoil, myself.

Mike
Old 08-09-2003, 10:59 PM

I have one on my 7mm stw and like said it reduces the recoil BUT (and i am serious) i put plugs in before shooting it every time . i shot a buck with it without and boy i couldnt hear for two days!ring!!!!
yep now if i am about to shoot i put them in.

And it can be tough when a good buck is coming at you and your trying to get plugs in!
Old 08-10-2003, 12:04 AM

I have gotten into the habit of wearing Walker' s Power Muffs when I am hunting, especially when using my muzzlebraked rifle.

Quick Reply: Muzzle brake????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.