Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .223 muzzle brake >

.223 muzzle brake

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.223 muzzle brake

Old 06-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default .223 muzzle brake

What brand and model of muzzle brake would work best on my savage .223. I'm getting great accuracy out of it now and want a muzzle brake to see the hits on pd's but don't want to give up any accuracy, even gain if that is possible
Old 06-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .223 muzzle brake

Huh?What's "pd's"?

Are you telling me that the recoil of the .223 bothers you? Quite simply, .223 recoil isn't supposed to bother anyone, andunless you have the BOSS system, which is only available with Browning rifles, will you get any improvements in accuracy out of a muzzlebreak.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

JPrifles offers a couple of different designs.
Personally I would never want the extra noise just to see hits... Buy a 17 or 20 caliber.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the brake that you can take off. A gunsmith can thread the end of the barrel, then the brake screws on and off. You can even get a cap for the threads if you want too. I do not think you are crazy for wanting to see your hits, I have been doing it for years, and it is alot of fun. If you want it get it. Tom.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Get the brake that you can take off. A gunsmith can thread the end of the barrel, then the brake screws on and off. You can even get a cap for the threads if you want too. I do not think you are crazy for wanting to see your hits, I have been doing it for years, and it is alot of fun. If you want it get it. Tom.
Can you explain how the brake helps you see the hits? I only have one brake on my rifles and thats on my 300 rum, and its for recoil only.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your shooting p-dogs I'm gonna assume your shooting from a bipod or a bench. Add a pound of weight to the end of your barrel and you'll be able to see hits.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually Magna-Porting would do a better job of controllng muzzle flip. However I do not know how to put a cap on the MP. Muzzle Brakes will also control muzzle flip, but not as effective as Magna-Porting. Tom.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:30 AM

muzzle break on a .223??? thats the funniest and craziest thing ive ever heard of.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO the only rifles that need a brake on them are varmint rifles chambered in light recoiling cartridges such as the .223, 22-250, etc...

They aren't on these rifles because they have shoulder pounding recoil. The brake is only there to allow the rifle to remain on target with out the shooter needing tohold down the forearm sothat youcan see the pink mist when the bullet impacts the dog. Even a .223 canrecoil enough to take you off target when shooting at extended distances and the bullet will get there before you reaquire the dog in your scope.

Youshould be wearing hearing protection any way due to the vast number of rounds fired so the loud noise associated with a brake is a moot point.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies so far. For the replies thinking I'm crazy for putting a brake on a .223, one its not for recoil at all and you probably havn't been praire dog shooting.
For all the other replies. I have choate varmint stock on it now so that has quite a bit of weight to it, I have considered adding more, I'm just playing with the idea of a brake also. Still would like to know a specific brand someone has had experience with good or bad so if I could research cost. I want a brake and don't want to magna port I like the idea of screwing it off for yote hunting.

Quick Reply: .223 muzzle brake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.