Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 getting into muzzleloading >

getting into muzzleloading

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

getting into muzzleloading

Old 07-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default getting into muzzleloading

hey im just getting into muzzleloading and was wondering what the best gun to start out would be? thanks Jake
Old 07-23-2004, 09:17 PM

Default RE: getting into muzzleloading

The one that you like. Decide what you want to spend on one (don't forget that you'll need a scope and mounts, and accesories like a powder measure and powder flask ect.) and then look at guns in that price range and decide what you like. I read an article on .45cal vs .50 cal and if I was getting a new gun, I'd go with .45cal. Find a friend that already uses a muzzleloader and get them to help you find what you want, and get you started. good luck
Old 07-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have helped 3 of my friends get started in muzzleloading and the first thing we did was to go to Bass pro or a similar store and check out whats available, one of the first things noticably different is the price, CVA makes a very good gun that is on the cheaper side ~ 160-190$ then you have the guns such as the Remington 700, Ruger 77-50 etc that run in the $400 and up price range, all are good guns to kill deer with, its just what feels right in your hands and wallet. Also go to your local gunshops that you TRUST and ask their opinions, (everybodies got different ones!!) All 3 of my friends settled on the CVA's (Firebolt mags I think) and all shoot considerably well for deer hunting (about 3 inch groups at 100 yards which is plenty to kill a deer). Just remember muzzleloaders need a little more care than smokeless powder rifles as far as diligently cleaning them and such.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

You didn't mention if you must go with a primative firearm where you are or can use ,gag,an in line.
If you have to go primative go Lyman. Stick to 50 caliber for deer 45 cal kill deer but exspect der to be able to run up to 2-400 yards sometimes after even a good shot.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Decide what you want to spend on one (don't forget that you'll need a scope and mounts,
\\This assumes you prefer one of the "inline" contraptions, and/or have an aversion to using open or aperture sights. ALL muzzleloaders are fun, but the funnest of them all are the flintlocks. There are a lot of nice flinters, but if you start out with the Lyman Plains rifle flintlock, you're in the right vicinity.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to buy a new muzzleloader tomorrow, I'd buy a Savage ML-10II and shoot smokeless loads in it. All the joys of muzzleloading without all the tedium and hassles of black powder or substitutes. The ML-10II is built to the same tolerances as Savage's CF rifles, and the ML-10II is the strongest and safest production ML in the world because it is proofed to smokeless pressure levels (129,000psi). The ML-10II is state-of-the-art in muzzleloaders. I'm obviously not one of those folks who think that the world is going to end because people can hunt with something other than sidelock long rifles. Inlines load from the front one shot at a time just like sidelocks. And let's not forget that smokeless powder is the ORIGINAL black powder substitute!

Mike
Old 07-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey drift that savage ML-10II sounds like a good gun. is that an inline? because thats what im looking for is a good inline. iv heard they are easier to hunt with
Old 07-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, it's an inline. And did I mention that it comes with the outstanding Accu-Trigger system?

If you want to read a good deal of info about the Savage ML10-II, go to the following links:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/instant_slamification.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_ML10.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_10MLII_accutrigger.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_ML_FAQ.htm

Mike
Old 07-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

IMO if you are going muzzleloading, try the traditional way. It was good enough for the old timers and we are surely as good as they were.

You have to experiance what it's like to bring down a deer with a traditional rifle with iron sights. Double set triggers are nice also.