Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington this and that!..What about Winchester?NEEDHELP WITH DECISION!! >

Remington this and that!..What about Winchester?NEEDHELP WITH DECISION!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington this and that!..What about Winchester?NEEDHELP WITH DECISION!!

Old 05-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington this and that!..What about Winchester?NEEDHELP WITH DECISION!!

Out of the two I would go with the Remington myself. But then again I am a big Remington fan. To me there are way too many custom rifles made from the remington guns for them to be bad. No matter if Wal-Mart does sell them and just ABOUT, ANY type of manufactured rifle out there.

Just my opinion though.
hunter338
Old 05-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington this and that!..What about Winchester?NEEDHELP WITH DECISION!!

my M-70s include a .223, a .22-250, .220S, .243, .257 Roberts, .270 Win, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, .300 H&H, .338 Win Mag. and a .375 H&H....

IMO they are the gun to own.....they're not perfect but they're worth any trouble I've had with them and that's usually some stock problems and a little bedding fixes them.....

The M-70 gets my vote easily!!!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 07:59 PM

I've owned a number of Winchesters. Nice guns and personally I like them better than Remingtons.

The Super Grade is very nice rifle and definately not a Wal-Mart special.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:55 PM

The Winchester 70 is a fine rifle. I do not own one, but I have 3 friends who do... and I have used theirs extensively (both target shooting and hunting). As with any brand or model of new rifle, the M70 may need a trigger adjustment (depending on how the stock trigger feels "right out of the box"). There is also always the possibility of needing to properly bed the action- for greatest accuracy and consistency. However, for hunting purposes, these two items may not be necessary. In any case, please do not worry. The M70 is a very good rifle - you will NOT be making a mistake by purchasing one.
As to the plethora of different models of this type... it is the same story as with the Remingtons, Rugers, etc. ALL of the M70's are functionally the SAME. The differences have to do with FINISH -
(blued or stainless... synthetic stock or walnut... premium stock or "basic" grade, etc.) Other than that, the M70's are all the SAME rifle. There is NO such thing as a "Wal-Mart" version of this (or any other brand).... with the possible exception of THE FINISH.
The best thing for you to do is.... look at the different finish grades available.... determine what you are willing to pay (or can afford).... handle as many of the rifles as you need to in order to come to a decision.... then, if everything fits and you like it (whichever grade) - BUY it... and don't look back. And... I might add.... don't let anyone in this forum (or anywhere else) dissuade you.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Neither of my M70's came from Wal Mart, but my Remington 597 crapper did!
Old 05-31-2004, 04:23 PM

Mr no good, You have got to be kidding? Walmart does not sell seconds. Please, before you say something like that, find out first. Walmart sells the guns that people will buy. It has nothing to do with "seconds." If someone has some facts to back up the statement that Walmart sells seconds, please let me know. I would be happy to eat crow if someone can deliver the goods.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:22 PM

My job is to sell firearms. I have seen all the good and bad things that come out of these rifles. I'll say this, I have never owned a Remington hunting rifle, but i have owned several Winchesters. They out right work! Feild strippable bolts, three postition safety's recessed feild crowns, and on some models controlled round feed. all opposites of the 700, with the exception of the crown. Winchesters qualtiy control has been slipping over the last few years, but not as bad as the big green. as for these wal-mart guns, there is nothing wrong with those either. The weatherby, the last bolt gun I owned was in .338. It is made by Howa, and still is garanteed to shoot 1 1/2 inches. And if it means anything, i still chose that over a 700. Hope this helps a little.