HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington this and that!..What about Winchester?NEEDHELP WITH DECISION!!
Old 05-24-2004, 09:55 PM
targetpuncher

Default RE: Remington this and that!..What about Winchester?NEEDHELP WITH DECISION!!

The Winchester 70 is a fine rifle. I do not own one, but I have 3 friends who do... and I have used theirs extensively (both target shooting and hunting). As with any brand or model of new rifle, the M70 may need a trigger adjustment (depending on how the stock trigger feels "right out of the box"). There is also always the possibility of needing to properly bed the action- for greatest accuracy and consistency. However, for hunting purposes, these two items may not be necessary. In any case, please do not worry. The M70 is a very good rifle - you will NOT be making a mistake by purchasing one.
As to the plethora of different models of this type... it is the same story as with the Remingtons, Rugers, etc. ALL of the M70's are functionally the SAME. The differences have to do with FINISH -
(blued or stainless... synthetic stock or walnut... premium stock or "basic" grade, etc.) Other than that, the M70's are all the SAME rifle. There is NO such thing as a "Wal-Mart" version of this (or any other brand).... with the possible exception of THE FINISH.
The best thing for you to do is.... look at the different finish grades available.... determine what you are willing to pay (or can afford).... handle as many of the rifles as you need to in order to come to a decision.... then, if everything fits and you like it (whichever grade) - BUY it... and don't look back. And... I might add.... don't let anyone in this forum (or anywhere else) dissuade you.