Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Single-action revolvers for CCW >

Single-action revolvers for CCW

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Single-action revolvers for CCW

Old 05-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Single-action revolvers for CCW

Does anyone actively carry a single-action wheelgun as their primary concealed weapon? With semi-autos and double-action revolvers, it would seem impractical in today's age. But my wife and I were looking at some Ruger Blackhawks for hunting, and she asked me if I was going to carry it. At first I thought it was a silly question, as I have plenty of other choices that fit me a lot better. But it did make me curious about the rest of you. If you don't carry one now, have you ever?
Old 05-20-2004, 02:12 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Single-action revolvers for CCW

Wow, that would be a big gun for carrying around. I used to carry a Smith&Wesson 44 but quit that after a few times. That was when I was a perminant resident in KY. I got a Glock model 27 for carry now, if this state will ever give us our rights.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't carry a concealed gun yet but a single action revolver would be about the last choice on the list. They are big, heavy and certainly not the fastest gun to use in a sticky situation.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you could but it sure wouldn't be my first choice.When seconds count I sure don't want to take the time to pull the hammer back.If you need to get a shot off in a self defense situation,you need to save as much time as possible.Squeezing the trigger without having to pull the hammer back will save you much needed time.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My biggest issue with using a single action revovler as a CCW arm is size, there are a lot of DA snubbies out there that aren't any fatter than a typical glock, and their short bbl lengths tend to fit nicely, but when you go talking about SA's, good luck finding one that isn't full sized and meaning to take up every cubic inch of space and discomfort it can. I carry a Ruger Vaquero .44mag or a Single Six "Vaquerito" .32H&R almost everyday, but I carry openly, it's the law here in KS.

I don't know that a SA is the best choice anyway, if you practiced a LOT with it, maybe, but most guys that don't shoot cowboy action can't shoot a SA fast enough to qualify on a police course with one, so really they'd be better served with a DA or pistol.

Another HUGE consideration is something I bring up when people talk about carrying SA's for bear defense, how well can you cock the hammer and shoot something off your back, like if a bear knocked you on the ground, or how well can you shoot a mugger who's got you up close and personal-do it all one handed and think about trying to do it while struggling and NOT slipping the hammer.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for your input, guys. You pretty much nailed all of my concerns right on the head. I love the Ruger GP-100, but after open carrying it a few times, it got old really quickly. And the Blackhawks are a half pound heavier, or even a little more! Not to mention that I can't even get close to the speed of some of the better cowboy action shooters in single-action. Needless to say, I'll stick with my DA handguns.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:51 AM

Boy, I just don't understand you guys. Just carry it cocked, like I do with my 1911.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:41 PM

I carry a single action revolver as a back up while on duty. But my revolver is a North american arms .22 mag. I would much rather have it not so difficult to use, but I needed the compact size.