HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Single-action revolvers for CCW
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single-action revolvers for CCW

My biggest issue with using a single action revovler as a CCW arm is size, there are a lot of DA snubbies out there that aren't any fatter than a typical glock, and their short bbl lengths tend to fit nicely, but when you go talking about SA's, good luck finding one that isn't full sized and meaning to take up every cubic inch of space and discomfort it can. I carry a Ruger Vaquero .44mag or a Single Six "Vaquerito" .32H&R almost everyday, but I carry openly, it's the law here in KS.

I don't know that a SA is the best choice anyway, if you practiced a LOT with it, maybe, but most guys that don't shoot cowboy action can't shoot a SA fast enough to qualify on a police course with one, so really they'd be better served with a DA or pistol.

Another HUGE consideration is something I bring up when people talk about carrying SA's for bear defense, how well can you cock the hammer and shoot something off your back, like if a bear knocked you on the ground, or how well can you shoot a mugger who's got you up close and personal-do it all one handed and think about trying to do it while struggling and NOT slipping the hammer.