Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 double/single action >

double/single action

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

double/single action

Old 09-02-2005, 05:37 PM

Default double/single action

Question: I've noticed on the new advertised H&K P2000 semi autos that they have a decocker near the left side of the hammer. This may be a silly question on my part but does this feature only come with the single/double pistols or is the decocker part of the double action only format as well? Not quite sure if it matters whether or not the pistol is double or single action to warrant a decocking device.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: double/single action

a DAO autopistol usually drops the hammer with the return of the slide to battery.. the trigger then cams it over the sear, much like shooting an L-frame or similar revolver..
Old 09-03-2005, 09:57 AM

Default RE: double/single action

I have not been around handguns for a while, but I believe the above statement is correct. In a double action only pistol the hammer will decock automatically any way after every shot, so I don't see a need for a decocking lever. Unless you can pull the hammer back manually for a single action shot. However I don't think that is an option on most DOA pistols.

That is the main difference between a double action, and a double action ONLY pistol. With the DA pistol your first shot will be double action, meaning can fire it with hammer down but you will have a longer harder trigger pull. The rest of the shots will be fired in single action because the hammer will be cocked by the slide as it recoils. The benifit is not having to carry a fire arm in the "cocked and locked" position, or cocking it after you draw it. This is how you would have to carry a single action automatic like a 1911 or browning Hi Power, or anything simular.

With a DOA pistol every shot would have to be fired in double action with the longer trigger pull because the hammer returns with the slide after the recoil. I personally don't care for a DOA pistol, but some agencies require them I think. Or you could go with a Glock which has it's own unique trigger design. The draw back is there is no safety, it is built into the trigger. Of course if you keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire it isn't that big of a deal. The triggers are a bit "odd" at first as well, but you get used to them pretty quick. I like it better than a double action pull.

Again, I will admit it's been 10 years or so since I have messed with handguns and I have not kept up on the current designs and technology. I have owned a 9 mm Hi Power and had a family member that had a glock .40. We switched off quit a bit. I also rented quite a few different models as well.

Paul