Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 win silvertips >

win silvertips

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

win silvertips

Old 05-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: win silvertips

i shot them this year in my 30-06 i shot the ballistic silver tips in 168gr. and i wasent pleased with them i shot a large body deer at about 75 yds. a good broad side shot and it diddent expand worth a damn and it was a big ol deer the hole was only the size of a dime it was a good double lung shot so he only went about 30yds with a good blood trail so i guess there ok but i personally think there should have been better expansion they shoot really good and shoot good groups but i just personally wasent happy with the expansion maby it was that 1 shot maby all are like that but i decided to go back the "ol faithful" remington corlocks(sp?) but maby others have had better luck and like i said they did the job fine i just think the could have expanded more
Am I missing something here? What is not to like about a double lung/30 yard track/good blood trial? Expansion??? pick the right bullet next year but please don't say man the meat damage...you can't have it both ways! Not to pick on you but your post is a bit baffling, at least to me anyways[&:]

Quilly they will work fine, as will others. I may suggest considering the hornady interlock sp's, I've seen how they work first hand out of 06 in 150-165 gr versions on deer both short and longer range. In my 7 rem mag last fall the 154's did the job on a calf moose and large bodied whitetail buck . The moose was 100 yards broadside H/L bullet punched through and animal toppled in a few yards. The Wt was a large bodied buck, 175 yards approx. heavy quarter away twisted back looking at me grunting, bullet entered ribs and punched through where neck meats shoulder..as you might imagine he didn't know what hit him and crumpled without a step.

Best of luck
Old 05-10-2004, 10:12 AM
bigcountry

I think the Bullistic tip or silver tip is great on deer. Almost like its made for deer.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:19 AM

I guess the bullets are fine, but I never could find a gun that liked the ammo.

Browning Stainless Stalker .270 w/ Winchester Supreme BST = 2.75" groups
Remington 700 BDLSSDM .30.06 w/ Winchester Supreme BST = 2.97" groups
Browning White Gold Medallian .300 Win Mag w/ BST = 3.25" groups

All the guns listed above much preferred Reminton Core-lokts, Federal Premiums, or Hornady loads over the Winchester loads.

I haven't tried them in my Tikka, and probably won't.