Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope question >

Scope question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope question

Old 04-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Scope question

Well, I wasn't going to buy a Leupold for my rifle but we are entitled to dealer pricing through the school while we are students. So Leupold it is.

For you Leupold fans I have a question. Would you get the new VX-II in 4-12X40 or go for the new VX-III in 3.5-10X40.

This will be going on a 300 WSM with a 26 inch barrel.

The new VX-II is essentially the same scope that the old VARI X-III was last year with multi cote 4 on all lenses and the new VX-III has the new index matched lenses for better light transmission and clarity.

The difference in price is $30.00 more for the VX-III. I am not overly concerned with the difference in the lower power renge from 3.5 to 4 between one scope or the other but I do like the extra at the top end with the VX-II. However I like the looks and the way the power adjustment ring is made on the VX-III. The VX-III is a much cleaner looking scope than the VX-II IMO.

The VX-II is on the left and the VX-IIIs on the right.

No I can't buy anyone any scopes so please don't ask. Sorry.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:34 PM

Default RE: Scope question

Hi bigbulls!
I have the VX-II 4x12x40mm on a 17HMR and like it very well on that particular application. However, on my whitetail deer rifle, I have the VX-III 3.5x10x50mm. I just recently traded a Vari-X III 4.5x14x40mm in on the 3.5x10x50mm. I didn't care for the adjustable objective feature on a scope for deer hunting, but it is desirable on a gun such as a 17HMR or on a varmint rifle. Also, like you, I thought I could use the higher top end power but found out that in low light conditions of dawn and dusk, that the magnification above 8x to 10x was pretty dim because of the limitations of the 40mm objective. So if I were you, I would bypass the learning experience that I went through and get the 3.5x10 model in whichever objective size suits your needs. You will be much better served by it on a big game rifle. Plus, the VX-III's have finger adjustable windage and elevation, no coins necessary! The VX-II line is very good, but the VX-III line is much better and worth the extra $$ in my opinion. Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:29 PM

I have to agree, get the 3.5x10x40 VXIII. For the cartridge you're shooting, and the game it was intended for, you'll never need anything above 10 power anyway, and for the feature difference, it's a no brainer.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree, for $30.00 more get the VX-III.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

BigBulls..while the VX-II is certainly a very good scope that is now even better your better off spending the 30 bucks and upgrading. I also think the VX-III looks cleaner and the scope tube on it is one piece vs 2 piece(not sure if that is a big deal or not) . Hard to go wrong with either now if the difference were 100 bucks I would stay with the VX-II. Good luck in your choice.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thought all leupold scopes were one piece? What a crock! For as much money as the VX-II costs you'd think it would be a one piece tube.

VX-III it is then. Thanks OEH.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:58 PM
bigcountry

Besides the AO, you won't know the difference in either I think.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:35 PM

Just a suggestion- I have 3 rifles fitted w/ Vari-x III and VXIII and a Kahles- I love the Leos and was given the Kahles as a gift(tip). I just recently set a long range gun with a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14 x44 . It is not much bigger than VXIII and the optics blew me away compared to the Leos, and even my Kahles- for what its worth nice scope for the$$
Old 05-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

VX-III in 3.5-10X40.
My choice!!
Old 05-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you can get any of them at a real bargin, look at Night Force before you buy.

Quick Reply: Scope question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.