Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
LAR Grizzley in .445 MAG >

LAR Grizzley in .445 MAG

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

LAR Grizzley in .445 MAG

Old 02-17-2002, 10:36 PM

Default LAR Grizzley in .445 MAG

Any of you guys out there have any information on the LAR pistols either good or bad. I'm looking for a stout carry pistol for AK, Africa (where it's legal) and I've got the LAR bug. Either that or I'm going to build a 5" redhawk in .475 Linebaugh. Any advice from you guys who have owned an LAR and used it in field conditions, that would be great.
Thanks
Surestrike
Old 02-18-2002, 07:42 AM

Default RE: LAR Grizzley in .445 MAG

The reviews I read on all of them (LAR Grizzly) a few years back showed them to be well made, accurate, and reliable. I'd think the .454 or perhaps even a handloaded .480 with heavy, hard cast bullets at semi-fast/moderate velocity would provide great penetration (allegedly will fully penetrate a Cape buffalo length-wise!)without the wrist-snapping recoil of a custom Linebaugh, but good luck whichever way you choose! (Did you see the review on a Bowen titanium barrel/cylindered 5 shot Ruger Blackhawk .50 AE several months back that weighed only 21 ounces? Ouch!! :-)