Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Short Mags and Super Short Mags >

Short Mags and Super Short Mags

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Short Mags and Super Short Mags

Old 04-24-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Short Mags and Super Short Mags

Has anybody done enough shooting with the WSM and WSSM to look at throat errosion yet? I would think that with the short and super short actions and those hot loads that throat errosion might become a factor.

Just wondering.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Short Mags and Super Short Mags

I have not shot them much yet but I would not not expect to see any more errosion than with any ather Magnum rifle unless very hot loads are used. I will be watching my 270 WSM as I get more rounds thriugh it.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just on Wincherster's website last night and looked at the comparison between the .25-06 and the .25 WSSM. They supposedly are identical ballistically. Most of the other short mags are also close to their respective "old" magnums, so I wouldn't expect any more throat erosion than the "old" ones would show.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:16 AM

Comparing the 25 WSSM with the 25-06. Ballistically, they are similar. With that said, what I was thinking was, the short fat cartridge providing the same power behind the bullet as the longer cartridge, won't that initial burst of energy to get the bullet started be hotter in the short cartridge? And with it being so short, and the barrel so close to it, won't the extra heat necessary to get the bullet on it's way cause the erosion more so than in the .06's longer cartridge? Am I making sense???
Old 04-26-2004, 09:54 AM
bigcountry

Its all about surface area and powder charge. I can't see the WSM's burning out a barrel much faster than a regular 30-06 or 270win. That 223WSSM is cooking however.

I measure throat erosion on my 300RUM, and it seems to really take off on the first 100 rounds. Then it stopped or real slow. I am at 500 round mark with this barrel. And see no significant errosion. I am watching this carefully. You would think with this gun, it would be very noticiable.