Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester model 70 classic featherweight >

Winchester model 70 classic featherweight

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester model 70 classic featherweight

Old 04-21-2004, 10:20 AM

Default Winchester model 70 classic featherweight

I'm thinking of getting this gun for Missouri deer hunting and I wondering from owners their opinion of this gun. Also your opinions of the 7mm-08 vs 7mm WSM. Which scope you have would be nice as well. Thanks for all your comments...
Old 04-21-2004, 10:43 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Winchester model 70 classic featherweight

I like the Mod 70 reciever over all recievers, but the featherwieght can be finicky with factory ammo as alot of guns can. I reload for my best friend with a 270win feather mod 70 and the gun won't shoot factory ammo less than 3" groups. But will drive tacks with IMR 4064 and 130gr sierras.

As far as the caliber, pretty easy advise. Missouri as I know it has all kinds of terrain. If shooting open fields and have plenty of experience with centerfires, might want to look at WSM. If not plenty of experience, I think a 7mm-08 makes a great first rifle depending on your size.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I think the 7mm-08 would be a good caliber. I am not yet sold on the WSSM cartridges. I know "that's just me" but i see them as more of a fad that just costs more money to shoot. But it kind of depends on the terrain and distance shots you will be taking. However, the 7mm-08 is no slouch.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:23 PM

I would go with the 7MM.08.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Featherweight classic in 7MM-08 if it was me . I have that model in 6.5X55 Swedish and it a great rifle . I just don't buy into the WSM rifles .
Old 04-21-2004, 08:37 PM

I really have to agree with the rest here and recommend the 7mm-08. Yeah, the WSM may give you a little flatter trajectory and greater performance with heavier bullets, but since most hunters rarely shoot more than 250 yds (more like 100) for deer, you really should not need more than what the 7mm-08 can provide, after all, as far as the trajectory is concerned, we are only talking a coulpe of inches at 300 yds. Any well practiced marksman should be able to operate within such parameters with no loss in effectiveness.

Besides, I am like semi, and just don't see the hype behind the WSM cartridges. I think they are unnessecary and are there simply to appeal to the the inferiority complexes that most humans are accompanied with.

I really love the Winchester Model 70 actions and finally they have started to offer them in a Left Handed Featherweight rifle but only in the WSM calibers. Kinda upsets me since I would rather wait and get a tried and true caliber like the .308 or the 7mm-08 instead of the experimental WSM's.

Well, atleast that's my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:37 AM
bigcountry

experimental WSM. wow! got us a crazy one here boys.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

BC --can't wait this is going to be a good one. The guys a pychiatrist also since I seem to have some sort of inferiority complex because I own one
Old 04-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL!!

I dont have one but i think they are the best looking guns on the market. Gonna try to buy one someday.........if they shoot anything like they looks....sweet deal.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

My M-70 fwt (in .257 Roberts) with it's 3-9 Leupold compact is a very sweet, good looking, very accurate rifle for medium size "big game". If it was in 7-08 it would be a little better yet.......they're very fine guns.

Quick Reply: Winchester model 70 classic featherweight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.