Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Winchester Short Mags >

Winchester Short Mags

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Short Mags

Old 09-02-2002, 07:12 AM

Default Winchester Short Mags

I am thinking about buying a 270 WSM. Does anyone have any opinions on these new short mag rounds?

Clark

Working towards a cleaner, greener forest...
Old 09-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2002, 05:39 PM

Default RE: Winchester Short Mags

I'm gonna get the .300 WSM next week. I can hardly wait. I like the idea of having magnum power in a non magnum sized rifle!!
Old 09-02-2002, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably the most overhyped series of cartridges ever. The real numbers don't match the claims.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you search this forum and the huntamerica forums you will discover that winchester has had some problems with the rifles and factory ammo for these calibers.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not much on the trick of the month stuff, but I do feel they are on the right track with the short mags.
It's a well known fact that a short, fat powder column will burn more effeciantly and more consistantly than long narrow ones.
I would like to see more proof that they function in rifles well before I buy one.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:57 PM

I have to agree with some of the others, the short mags. are a way for the firearms manufacturers to make money and generate new revenue by generating new magazine columns and publicity. I've read in many places that they don't match up to there reported performance levels. I wish the firearms manufacturers would spend there time and money on improving there production quality standards instead of trying to make shooters believe that these new cartridges do anything differently than any other cartridge does and has done for years. Also think of all the new cartridges that have come out in the last 8 yrs., all the STW rounds, short mags. by Winchester and Remington, and ultra mags. etc... Not all of these rounds will be able to stand the test of time and some or most of these will not even be chambered in new rifles or manufacured in ammo. 10 yrs. from now. If you pick one of these new rounds then I hope you choose well and pick one that will still be around in a few years. Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:58 AM

Of course they're a way for the manufacturers to make more money. What business would field a product they thought wouldn't make money? I have a .300 WSM and the real numbers do match the claims (as evidenced by my chronograph). The rifle functions perfectly and accuracy is fine. If you don't like them don't buy one, but they work just fine.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:26 AM

If you were going to buy a new rifle anyway why wouldn't you buy a WSM as opposed to any other. Look at the .300WSM. Even if it doesn't meet or beat the .300 Win Mag it comes close. If definately edges out the .30/06 and a lot of people seem to think the .30/06 is all you need for most big game hunting applications in North America. Plus it comes in a compact short action rifle with all the benefits that includes.

It seems a lot of people are bashing the WSM because they feel that these cartridges are overhyped and that may be true but overhyped doesn't neccessarily mean no good. If you want one, buy one and then shoot the s*** out of it.

LOL at every one saying that the WSM and other short mags are just another way for manufacturers to make money. That's why companies exist.

By the way I recently purchased a .30/06 because it's more than enough for the game I hunt and the ammo is readily available and affordable not because its better than anything else.

L8r,
Kevin
Old 09-03-2002, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quote:

"""Probably the most overhyped series of cartridges ever. The real numbers don't match the claims."""

That is about the biggest pile of cr*P I have ever heard concerning any ammo on the market.

That has not been my experience at all with these cartridges. If you want to talk about hype look at the 300 winchester ,7 Rem mags, 7 STw and any Weatherby cartridge I guess they are not hyped either. Show me how many of those "Large Magnums" match factory velocity figures whether underloaded or not by the Factories. Oh sure you can reload them and get maybe 100 fps or more velocity, what animal cares and who cares for getting pounded around with recoil. For those that think they don't match their factory velocities why don't you actually shoot and chronograph every one of the short mags before you open your yap.

Quick Reply: Winchester Short Mags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.