Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scope leveling >

scope leveling

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope leveling

Old 04-24-2004, 05:49 AM

Default scope leveling

Has anyone ever used a scope leavel? It is suppose to help with fine tune shooting,it is to keep the vertical line on the scope strait with the gun.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scope leveling

In the overall of precision shooting it's a 1% type of thing. Ideally the vertical crosshair should be aligned with the line between the bore of the rifle and the center of the scope. To be aligned visually is sufficient.

IMO tools that do this for you are of extremely minimal value.

The shooter needs to be aware that all shooting must be done with the vertical hair visually perpendicular to the surface of the earth and that "canting" the gun even 10 degrees can have adverse effects on point of impact. Visual is good enough however.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:21 PM

Default RE: scope leveling

Vapo is right. Visual is usually good enough, but, every person holds their firearm a little differently and usually cants it. You may look thru it one day and it seem fine, the next day you hold it a little differently (without even noticing it) and it seems way off. This will drive you nuts.

When I worked at Academy and was setting up customer's purchases here's what I did. It seemed to work really well, and never had a customer complain. I did it (and still do) to my own rifles. If you've ever taken a shooting class, or were in the military, you'll recognize it.

I would pick up the rifle and with my left hand, rest the rifle on my left, flat, palm, with my left elbow directly under the rifle. Then, with my right arm, hold the rifle normally like I was going to shoot it, but with my elbow up, sticking straight out, horizontally. I'd then rotate the scope while aiming at some verticle object out in front of me, lining up the verticle crosshair with that object. Then I'd carefully tighten down the scope ring screws, alternating side to side, and front to back. Then I'd recheck the scope using the same hold as before. Customers always seemed satisfied. Your scope will be very close to being in proper alignment with the bore. You can try this, and check yourself. Hold the rifle in the manner I described, then drop your right elbow from 90 degrees to 45 degrees like some people do. You'll see the difference immediately.

I usually confirm this when at the range. If my 200 yard and 300 yard groups are off, I know I've done something wrong. (it's usually been because I canted the rifle when shooting them). ((I take into account any crosswind drift also)).

Once done, you can easily see if you're canting the rifle when in the field. And you don't have to worry about it being your scope. My long range groups are usually right where they should be.

I've never used scope leveling gizmos but you'd think that you'd have to get the gun level first, then depending on the scope level devise, put it on and get it level, then try to level the scope without knocking all that out of whack. I'll be out shooting before that.