Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which rifle to get? >

Which rifle to get?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which rifle to get?

Old 04-14-2004, 04:00 AM

Default Which rifle to get?

Hello all, this is my first post, so go easy on me I am looking for a new rifle, for $200 or less. I will mostly use it for target shooting, but also rabbit/squirrel hunting. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to a ruger 10/22, savage MK II, and a remington model 597. All three of these are available at my local wally world. The Savage is the cheapest at $99, and comes with a scope. The ruger is $163, and the remington is $169. I have heard mixed opinions about savage rifles, and I know that you usually get what you pay for. But $99 is hard to resist. However, I currently already have a really old savage rifle, a stevens 887. Its a 14 round tube-fed .22 autoloader. Its inaccurate as hell, jams, and occasionally goes full auto on me. Needless to say, its a piece of junk. However, my 510 shoots dead straight every time, and never has a problem. It is also a simpler gun, a single shot bolt action 22. Both of these guns are very old, and were handed down to me by my father. Right now I am leaning towards the 10/22, just for the sheer fact that millions of them have been sold, and there are tons of aftermarket parts available. I'm already considering a custom thumbhole stock. I can't really find any aftermarket, or even any reviews on the savage. I found one review of the 597, and the author had problems with power residue jamming the safety. I really wish I could shoot all three before deciding, but I doubt walmart would like that :P. Anyways, which one would you guys suggest?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:46 AM

Default RE: Which rifle to get?

I have 3 Ruger 10-22's. One I built into the ultimit tree rat gun. After market stock, 16" bull barrel with a fixed 6X scope. Trigger is the best of the 3 guns so have left it alone for the time being. There is alot of different aftermarket parts for those Rugers.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

I think ruger makes a very good 22LR.. But for those prices i would take any of them. They will all work pretty well. The investment is not huge at $99.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Remington model 597 stainless/laminate. With CCI Stinger's this rifle will group 5 shots under 1-2". I have never had any malfunctions with my rifle. I use it for squirrel hunting and casual plinking. I usually fire cheap Federal ammo because they are carried in abundance at Wal Mart.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:25 AM

Ruger 10/22 brother, you cant go wrong with this one. Plenty of after-market products, great triggers, actions, accurate as hell. I have blasted away at coyotes with mine, of course I had the 25 round clip in. Great gun though man, good luck.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum Ward83.
That's a easy question to answer. The Ruger 10-22 hands down. For the price you can't beat a 10-22. Second choice would be the Savage.I won't even consider a Remington 597.Reports of the Rem 597 aren't favorable. There has been allot of negitive talk about the 597. The triggers are terrible.Constant jams.Living up to Remington's semi Autos nickname "Jam-masters" Buy a Ruger 10-22 and you'll be more then satisfied with it.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-14-2004, 04:19 PM

I am a die hard Remington fan but I would go with the Ruger 10/22!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger 10/22. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the info guys, it looks like I will probably go with the 10/22. Rabbit season is year round here in texas, so I'm going to try my hand at that. I also plan to target shoot this rifle alot. I am thinking of getting the Fajen stock for it, because I love the way it looks, and it seems like a very nice target stock. Anyone have experiece with these?
Old 04-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ward83

. I am thinking of getting the Fajen stock for it, because I love the way it looks, and it seems like a very nice target stock.
I maybe be wrong but I think Fajen is no more( out of business).Seems to me someone took them over .They are under new ownership and a different name. I maybe mistaken . Fajens were a nice stock, I never owned one, but have seen enough of them over the years.

That's a smart move going with the 10-22.Look for the 10-22 40th Anniversary model. They will be made only in 2004.They have a neat 40th Anniv medallion inlaid in the stock.Comes with a special 40th anniv.clear magazine and a standard black one..

Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: Which rifle to get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.