Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Leveling a sight... >

Leveling a sight...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Leveling a sight...

Old 05-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leveling a sight...

Hey guys, I put my new Spott Hog (real deal) on my Vectrix tonight and I really like it. The only problem is that I feel like the level isn't really, well... level. When I'm at full draw, I feel like I have to can't the bow to the left to get the bubble centered up.

I took the sight off the bow and checked it against a framing level and it showed to be out of level. Then I held the mounting bracket flush to a corner of the wall (that I checked to be level) and again it showed the bubble to be out of level.

Any ideas here? I know this is a simple issue... not sure what's going on here.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Leveling a sight...

I sure hope you get some responses to this post. It sounds like a good question to me. One which I wish I knew the answer to!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:49 PM

Third axis issue?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:02 AM

there ought to be a way on that sight to adjust 2nd and 3rd axis. did it come w/ directions?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just looked at my Real Deal (older one) and there are no adjustments for 2nd or 3rd axis. You have two choices IMO. Shoot it as is or make a phone call to Spot Hogg. Oh, there may be a third choice. Shim the mount on the riser. A phone call would be my choice. You paid good money for quality and should get it.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think the real deal does have 2nd axis adjustment, I would call Len first and ask him if you should contact Spot Hogg directly, or if you should allow him to do it. A lot of the time dealers like to handle this stuff internally and can sometimes get it resolved faster for you than the manufacturer can. I would give Len first shot at making this right........
Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I don't think the real deal does have 2nd axis adjustment, I would call Len first and ask him if you should contact Spot Hogg directly, or if you should allow him to do it. A lot of the time dealers like to handle this stuff internally and can sometimes get it resolved faster for you than the manufacturer can. I would give Len first shot at making this right........
Thanks guys, no this sight doesn't have 2nd or 3rd axis adjustment that's why I was somewhat confused. I thought about shimming the mounting plate but you shouldn't have to do that on a "quality" sight.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

For sights that don't have 2nd axis adjustment I hang the bow from a hook with a string and plumb hanging from the bottom limb and make it perpendicular to the floor. While doing this and making sure the bow is level with the plumb and see if the bubble level on the sight is correct. If it isn't I will use adhesive silencing foam or felt to shim the sight until it is level. I like doing this anyway because it will help eliminate vibration. This will get your 2nd axis level. To do 3rd axis you need a sight that has that capability.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: dwd2001
Thanks guys, no this sight doesn't have 2nd or 3rd axis adjustment that's why I was somewhat confused. I thought about shimming the mounting plate but you shouldn't have to do that on a "quality" sight.
You shouldn't have to do it with a $1000 scope on a $1500 rifle either but the fact of the matter is that sometimes you do, not often but it happens. It may not be a problem with the sight, it may be the riser of the bow or the mount holes not being true.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

I'm gonna step out on a limb here, but who cares right? Who actually uses that tiny little level? In a hunting situation, are you really looking at that tiny thing to determine level? I mean,at 25yrds, how far off can you be if you "guess" level by holding your bow what you think feels and looks level? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I really don't see the point in that tiny level at all. If my sight did not have it, it would not matter to me at all.

DandBuck

Quick Reply: Leveling a sight...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.