Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester model 70 classic featherweight >

Winchester model 70 classic featherweight

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester model 70 classic featherweight

Old 04-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Default RE: Winchester model 70 classic featherweight

Alright, alright, I had a looong day and probably wasn't thinking too clearly so I may have to retract such statements.

On the "experimental" statement, that was just in contrast of true field tried and tested years. In comparison, the 7mm-08 is a senior next to any WSM caliber.

As far as the "inferiority complex" I referred to, how many of you know or are guilty yourselves of buying something bigger, or trying to get something faster or newer, or better just to "out do" or "one up" the guy next door or the fellow you work with? If you say NO to any of these, you are a straight true blood liar! Sometimes you just have to "feel" like you are or have something better than a few others. Can you honestly say I am wrong?

And yes, I may have chosen a few challenging terms to voice an OPINION, sue me.

But let me ask you this...

Yes, the performance of the WSM's may better or equal to the output of their short action and long action cousins, and yes, the introduction of a new caliber can be fun and will more than likely sell more rifles, and yes, I believe they are probably going to be here a while, BUT.....Are they Necessary?

Just my point of view. If you wish to try and humiliate or chastize further, do so as you wish. Its just a point of view...
Old 04-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pyral, BC and I were just having a little fun with you. As for the shortmags do I think they are necessary well yes and no. Their performance is matched by the long mags and other rounds in some cases. I have/had 2 300 wsm and currently own 1 7 WSM and absolutely love them because they are so easy to load for and accurate. I couldn't get an inaccurate load if I tried to with the 300 wsm and I am sure the 7WSM will be the same way. Your dealing with a 24" barrelled rifle that is very handy to lug around and is usually 1/2 lb lighter then the equivalent 24" barrel long mag with comparable velocity. I also own a 7 STW(because of its reputation for velocity and accuracy) and a 7-08(because it is one of the sweetest 7mm cartridges available) and just sold a Ruger M-77 in 7 REm mag(because I had too many damn 7mm rifles . I like all those cartridges these WSM's are just another choice. These shortmags have some drawbacks such as in some non push feed actions they chamber roughly in a few guns. Other then that ammo is very available in my area and at reasonable prices as are reloading components. I am all for firearms manufacturers coming up with new ideas and profiting from them and keeping these business's open especially in todays lawsuit crazy society which has such a dim view on firearms in general. Just trying to support this industry
Old 04-22-2004, 07:00 PM

[BUT.....Are they Necessary?] How boring..if all we could shoot or use were 30-06's, 12ga's and 22lr's. What the heck would I do with all my centerfire rifles? How could I do any rifle hunting since I no longer own a 30-06?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:59 PM

Oldelkhunter, fair enough, I may have responded a little too quickly in a manner that assumed harm or foul. If so, I apologize[:-].

Popeye...like I said, it was just my opinion....[&:]
Old 04-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine has an older 70 featherweight in 7 X 57. I have tried tempting him with high offers for years. He will not sell it.
I would give him a very pretty penny for it, but alas...he will not part with it.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:32 PM

Of the two, I'd pick the 7mm-08 also.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Wow !!! Now that the dust is clear, I will have to say that I'm very conflicted. I have owned a Remington 700 in 7M-08 for two years and love it. I could shoot that rifle all day long. I use it for deer hunting in Wisconsin. Here is where my conflict comes into play. I won a Win. Classic Featherlight in 7 WSM at my NRA Chapters Banquet last month. I still need to save up to scope it with Kahles 3x9 but which rifle do I use for my November season? I didn't ask for the extra power, but maybe I will take it for bear whenever I get selected for a tag. I have never shot a 7 WSM or Rem.mag.

The only novice advice I would give is that if you wanted one great, accurate rifle for deer, Elk, Bear, Muley's- I would go to with the 7 WSM. If you want a great, accurate rifle for deer,muley's, and even black bear- I would go with the 7m-08.

Oldelkhunter,Pyral and Bigcountry are much more experienced than I am since I have only shot the 7m-08. I have learned a lot about ballistics from reading what these guys have posted. I'm looking forward to future posting runs.

Good luck,
Mathewsconquest2
Old 04-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mathewsconquest..good luck with that featherweight..of all the Winchesters I have owned/own its my favorite model. I will start loading up some 7WSM loads in the next few months and keep everyone posted on what works and doesn't work. Nothing wrong with using something your familiar with though for hunting season in fact it is preferable.That 7-08 is a real sweet caliber and one I wish I had thought about a few years ago.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:29 PM
bigcountry

Every event I go to everyone around me is winning shotguns, and rifles. Oh well, congrads on the win. I buy new guns all the time, but only use guns I am comfortable with. For instance last fall, I was in the middle of trying out different loads for 3 of my rifles. And didn't have time to get my zero on on any of these guns. So I grabbed my sluggun for all my hunting as shots are below 100 yards. I never mess with this gun, and never change the zero for any reason. Also knew of a good chance for a needed follow up shot. Since I mess around alot with reloads for all my rifles, they are rarely zeroed in. I think I am more addicted to reloading and range shooting than I am to hunting.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm a well known fan of the 7mm-08. Light recoil yet enough power for any whitetail and a pretty flat shooting caliber as well. A caliber that even from a light rifle you can shoot all day at the range and not need a chiropractor the next day. I think its just about the perfect whitetail caliber.

Not trying to start an argument but I'm not sold on the new short magnum concept either. For hunting purposes I don't see a significant adavantage over the magnum calibers that already exist or much of an advantage over many of the non-magnum calibers for that matter. Unless you routinely go on long hiking backpack hunting trips for elk or moose where you are forced to carry all your equipment on your own back I can't imagine why anyone would want a lightweight magnum gun. And even in that case I'd get either a Tikka t-3 lite or a Winchester Featherweight in 270 or 30-06, load them with a bullet designed to penetrate well on larger animals and not feel the least bit undergunned.

I know that short action rounds are supposed to be inherently a little more accurate than their long action cousins but you would probably have to be an avid benchrest shooter and reloader to notice a difference. In other words someone able to tune a gun and the ammo to a point that this adavantage would even be noticeble if it actually existed. This a moot point in the above case anyway as the 7mm-08 is also a short action round.

For all I know these new WSM's and WSSM's may catch on and become more popular than girls with big breasts but right now you will find them less available at many outlets and a more limited selection of factory ammo at the places that do carry them. It's generally more expensive too. Especially in the 7mm WSM that you mentioned as it seems to be far less popular than the 270 WSM or 300 WSM calibers.

As for scope opinions, I am of the opinion that it is just as important as the gun. Save up and at least get one up into the 300-450 dollar range. Good choices in this range are Nikon Monarch, Leupold Vari X III, or Zeiss Conquest. I find that scopes in this range offer significant usable advantages over cheaper scopes such as: better coated lenses for light transmission; tougher components that stand up to recoil better without shifting their point of aim; better and more consistent eye relief, they're clearer; water proof, shock proof and fog proof; they stay true when you adjust them from low power up to it's highest power setting (which is often a problem on cheaper variable power scopes); and they carry a lifetime guarantee. Those are all features I can make use of in hunting situations. Now do the 1200 dollar scopes offer advantages worth an additional 800 bucks? Not to me but thats another debate.