Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 M1 garand gas systems >

M1 garand gas systems

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1 garand gas systems

Old 03-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: M1 garand gas systems

my gun does have to get re-parkerized on that part that holds the bayonet.
Are you talking about the bayonet lug itself or the gas cylinder?
The gas cylinders are made of stainless steel which doesn't take parkerization too well and they were typically painted black. Its normal for them to be shiny or a different color than the rest of the rifle. You can try to take some steel wool to remove the rust, then cover the afflicted area with CLP. An M1 shouldn't rust unless its neglected- I've seen rifles that were pretty much in the white with no rust on them.

If you are going to have work done on it, from what I've heard, DGR is a great place to send it. I'm sending my trigger group there in a few weeks to have it worked on. Mil-tech is a more spit and shine place while DGR knows all of the ins and outs of the M1.

The consensus is that I'm wrong about factory ammo in the M1. I guessif it works for several people without problems, then it might be ok. I learn something new everyday.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:31 PM

Default RE: M1 garand gas systems

well i took apart the trigger guard assembly and took out the stock away from the rest of the gun. there is alot of pitting on the back end of the reciever underneath where it says us. m1 .30cal. also pitting in the reciver left side where it faces the wood also some pitting underneath the barrel. never seen pitting this bad . ut then again it is an old gun. the barrel says SA-7-45 i don't know if that means it has been changed out in 1945 or not.
i think she defiantly needs cleaning up a bit. i also just ordered one of those tools as well.