Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 M1 Garand... >

M1 Garand...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1 Garand...

Old 09-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default M1 Garand...

Ok I was lookin at the cmp website and seen where they had them for sale. This is a gun I have wanted since I knew what guns were. Can anyone advise me if there is a better place to buy them or what to look for and anything like that? I seen a guy deer hunting with one back in 1985 or so and I was immediately smitten with them. Im sure they wont get any cheaper either in the future either. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: M1 Garand...

I'm fairly sure you'll not beat cmp on complete rifles. I have built a few garands from calibers from 25-06 up to 35 whelen. If you have the capability to build it yourself you'll get a lot more enjoyment and pride from it.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 AM

The last time I checked, the rifles the CMP was selling were pretty rough. You might be better served to check local gun shows for a better shooter. Garands really range in quality and price, it depends on if you are a shooter or collector. If you don't care about manufacturer, or matching number, etc. you can still get a decent one for around $700.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

CMP is still the only way to go for under $1000.

Most of the M1s on the market were originally purchased from CMP- Many of which were lower grade shot-out rifles that sellers inflate hte pric eon.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

FWIW, if CMP still offers 'service grade' rifles, they are worth the money. They have been rebuilt and the barrels will have had very few rounds shot through them.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 PM

Only get the service grade if your thinking the cmp route. Good luck finding a decent one at a gun show too, but thers a chance, just gonna pay pretty pennies for it
Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM

That might of been me you saw hunting back thenwith a Garand, if it was in WV. I also hunted with a FN FAL , but the Garand was the best . I still have it ,but sold the scope and mount . I use NM iron sights now and still shoot her once in a while .
As has been said , it will be hard to find a good one at a GS unless you want to shell out some good money.I picked mine up while I was a FFL dealer, I think the one I have is one of many I sold that were arsnel refinished fromSouth Korea.
I used hand loads for hunting ,I think it was a Speer ,130 gr. varm. bullet , made big wounds and I mean big.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was hunting in the national forest in Pocahontas County that year. For some reason that gun left a lasting impression. I have always been a history nut so that may have had something to do with it. Besides that those guns are a work of art....

How about one of those new ones...I know the reciever isnt as well made but I have heard good reviews on them. What do you guys think?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

here's the service grade HRA I got about 4 years ago:

Nothing wrong with the springfield INC rifles, except that they cost 2x as much and are more or less 'replicas' of Garands.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is an extremely nice piece Briman!! Are the replacement parts..like new barrels, op rods and stuff like that very easy to find? Im asking in case I end up with one that needs some work.

Quick Reply: M1 Garand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.