Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How many people carry a consealed weapon (gun) >

How many people carry a consealed weapon (gun)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many people carry a consealed weapon (gun)

Old 02-01-2004, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many people carry a consealed weapon (gun)

[quote]ORIGINAL: Danny45

When you say "turned of age", you do know that you have to be 23 (not 21) to get the permit don't you?
Wow!, How did they come up with that rediculious rule? Old enough to go to war,buy a handgun, drink but can't legally carry a concealed weapon.That doesn't make sense. Then again you're dealing with the State Government.Down here it's 21.If you haven't matured by 21 most likely you won't by 23.I guess we should be grateful that we can even get a CCW even if you have to wait an extra two years to do so.These CCW should be like a CDL and all have the same guidelines.They should be honored in all 50 states like our DL's are.I could go on but you get the point.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Spike

I carry a Taurus in .40 Caliber. Locked but not cocked since it is a double action. Carry in Uncle Mikes belt holster with extra mag. Loaded with Corbon HP. Never had to use or draw but never know when the time is going to come when I do. As for home defense I have a Moss 500 Loaded with 3" 00buck. Should do the trick if some crackhead tries to get friendly. Second home defense is an offense Rotty dog. And yes she bites.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recently saw something on a local newscast, only five states do not allow concealed carriage-if I recall correctly they are Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, and Oklahoma, now whether that means of all the states that allow any carriage, only five don't allow concealed carriage, or whether that's of all 50states. I wasn't aware that Cali or NY allowed CCW even with a permit, but that's what they said at least.

Anyway, here in Kansas, like I mentioned, we can't carry concealed weapons-it's pretty much only enforced on stiff bladed knives over 4.5" blade length and on guns. We're allowed to carry openly without a permit though.

We've got legislation in action that will pass a CCW privalege, I'm all for it, I carry a firearm most of the time, except when I'm in the city, because people freak out too much, but when I'm in the city is when I feel I really need it-I carry one around the farm just for fun or for work, putting down sick cattle or exterminating coyotes, in the city I'd like to have a CCW to protect myself.

As for what I'd carry, it'd either be a Micro-compact Springfield 1911 in .45acp, or a full sized Springfield 1911 in .45acp. For "less clothes" scenarios, I'd either wear my .38spcl derringer or a Kel-tec .380 auto.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

only five states do not allow concealed carriage-if I recall correctly they are Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, and Oklahoma,
Oklahoma has allowed it for years. I ordered a packet today to see what all is required, should know within 7 days.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:36 PM

I usually have a .25 cal "Baby Browning" in my right front pants pocket. Sometimes it is in my right rear pants pocket.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wisconsin is a Non-Issue state...but that might change soon.

But just because a state allows CCW doesn't mean that the average Joe can get a permit. Iowa, where I live, allows citizens to carry a concealed weapon with a permit, but the law leaves the final discretionary authority up to your local county sheriff. This makes Iowa a "may issue" state. Meaning that there is no equal representation under our CCW law, and what rights you have is left up to a low-level elected peon (the sheriff) who can grant or deny permits on a whim.

For instance, I live in Linn County, Iowa, where the sheriff is liberal and anti-gun. The chance of a normal run-of-the-mill citizen getting a permit here is virtually nil. You have to "show cause" to need a weapon to protect yourself (confirmed death threats, transport large sums of money, etc...), and then he can slap on any restrictions to the permit he wants (like you can only carry if you have over $500 cash, only to and from work, only on the second Tuesday of the odd numbered months, or really ANY restriction he sees fit). But if you happen to live in Iowa County, which borders Linn Cty to the southwest, the sheriff there is very gun-friendly (he owns a gun store) and runs his county on a "shall issue" basis. But the really screwy thing is that the unrestricted CCW permit the Iowa Cty. sheriff issues is valid STATEWIDE and must be honored in the jurisdictions of the sheriffs that refuse to issue permits for political reasons. But if the Iowa Cty. sheriff retires or looses an election, the new sheriff can arbitrarily deny renewal of existing permits without cause.

Hopefully we'll convince our legislators to pull their heads out of their butts and change this law, which is unfair on its face, and make Iowa a "shall issue" state.

Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

As soon as I'm 21 I will be...

Don't try to mug me on the street or you'll be sorry...

My dad and mom both tote. Dad's a sheriff's deputy and a CCW instructor so I can get him to certify me...

He's already taught me everything, just need his signature to get the license.

Only one year to go, I'm about to turn 20.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:58 AM

When you say "turned of age", you do know that you have to be 23 (not 21) to get the permit don't you?

Wow!, How did they come up with that rediculious rule? Old enough to go to war,buy a handgun, drink but can't legally carry a concealed weapon.That doesn't make sense.

Ruger-Redhawk, yeah, it's a weird ruling. I don't know how they came up with that. Maybe they used motor vehicle accident data and figured by 23, you're a little more mature.

Oklahoma has had CCW for about 8 years now. I got mine when they first started. It's good for 4 years and I have to renew (for the 2nd time) this summer. Missouri should be getting it soon too. They just approved it I think. Funny thing about Oklahoma, they'll only reciprocate with other states if those states have similar requirements. South Dakota has virtually no requirements other than to apply at the local Sheriff's Office. So they won't allow a SD license here, and SD won't recognize mine because of it. We recip with Florida, and Texas, but not sure who else.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a CWP here in Virginia and own a Taurus 85 .38 special snubby. Neat little gun. I can hide it anywhere. Sometimes on occasion, I might carry. But 90% of the time, I don't. Someone mentioned the old 1911's. Man, I would LOVE to get my hands on a reproduction WWII Springfield M1911-A1! Classic.... Absolute classic! [:-]

Butch
Old 02-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have mine. However rarely carry unless I'm going to the city. I actually can't believe being in Minnesota they finally made it law. WOW! This is such a liberal state. Ruger security six .357 But purchasing the .40 cal glock that I sold again just for carry purposes.

Quick Reply: How many people carry a consealed weapon (gun)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.