Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Combo-Guns >

Savage Combo-Guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Combo-Guns

Old 05-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Savage Combo-Guns

I' m going to buy a Savage O/U 223-12ga. Anybody really familiar with the guns? My friends that I turkey hunt with all have them...and love them. This year a couple turkeys just wouldn' t come in, and they still took them at about 80 yards. I' ve always jabbed them pretty good for shooting turkeys with a rifle...but I want to play too! LOL

The shotgun will still be my main turkey barrel...

I also need a good place to rest my 4X Unertl!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage Combo-Guns

OK...If not Savage...how ' bout these Baikal guns. Anybody familiar with them?
Old 05-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve used a savage in the past, I forget what year it was, it' s not the same as what they offer today, it' s from back in the 20' s if I recall. I loved it, it was a .222rem/20ga slugger (rifled bbl). It was incredibly accurate in both barrels, although the shotgun bbl was rather tightly patterned (odd for a slug gun), giving smaller patterns with shot than a single slug hole at 15yrds. I' ve seen the newer versions in action, and they aren' t anything really special, they aren' t astonishingly accurate like their bolt action counterparts, but probably on par with any typical factory rifle, being much better than a typical break single rifle.

I' d get the Savage if it were me, but that' s just my opinion, both are good guns.

I' ve only seen the Baikals in action, never shot one myself, but they seem to be decent guns, the only problem being is that Europe isn' t as zealous about finish as we are here, the finish on them (or maybe it' s just because it' s extremely cheap rifle) is rather sensitive, they don' t rust at an accelerated rate or anything, but the oils shift incredibly easily, making your gun look sort of like a leopard if you put it in a typical " mountain" foam case. That' s the only pitfall I' ve seen with them, they seemed to function well, and shot very well for a cheap factory break action.

You sure that shooting turkeys with a rifle is legal in your state? It' s not here, wish it was though!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It' s not legal to shoot turkeys where I live in Ohio...But I own a farm in WV, where it IS legal.

Just fishin for information....