Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone happy with a cheap scope? >

Anyone happy with a cheap scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone happy with a cheap scope?

Old 12-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone happy with a cheap scope?

Bushnell legends are pretty good and rugged scopes and a 3-9x usually goes for less than a hundred bucks. They all use one piece tubes rather than the two piece that simmons, Nikon buckmasters, some tascos etc... use. I have never had a problem with any Bushnell.

If you can swing about 170 bucks then the Bushnell elite 3200 is an excelent scope for what they cost and you won't need to upgrade again later. This one will serve you well for many many years.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

dpv the new nikon pro staff can be had for 150.00 at wal-mart and they are handling leupold riflemen for around 170.00 . if your not going that far you really arnt getting too much farther from the bottom
Old 12-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Spike

Another vote for Bushnell. I've got a 3x9 trophy on my .308 that I've been using for about 10 years. I like it so much I picked up another one a couple of years ago for my .22 mag.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned scopes from $5 to $500 new. Simmons, Tasco, Bushnell, weaver steel and Japanese weavers, and Leupold.

I've returned scopes for repairs to Weaver (in Texas), Bushnell, and Leupold. Customer service was excellent from all of them but best from Bushnell. The weaver and the Bushnell was returned because I damaged them...the Leupold was defective internally.

Optics on the Leupolds is very fine but optics on the others is adequate for the task at hand. I can't say that one gets a better scope for the additional money.

Keep the Simmons until it gives you reason to trade it....My guess is that it's just fine for the task. Get the Leupold when you have the cash!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 12:52 AM

A used Leupold is a good option. Otherwise, regarding lower end stuff, do what you have to do but keep your iron sights on your rifle and carry the necessary screwdriver in your pack.

EKM
Old 12-11-2003, 05:51 AM
bigcountry

I tried to go this route. I tried out the Pine Ridge on my 22's and my muzzleloaders. I figured if I got fixed powers, that would help secure I got a dependable scope since american varibles can have issues. But while at the range before the season, I notice it says 1/2MOA click, but it moves 1MOA click. So I have one of two problems. Scope sucks or I am close to the max of my verticle adjustment.

So what I am trying to say, is I always question the scope, and confidense is half the battle.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:03 AM

I have a Tasco World Class 3-9x40 on my '06. Have had it for 10 years. $100 back then. Can be had for $70 now. Alright scope. Fits my bill b/c my gun comes out 3x/year.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

You didn't say just how much you can spend. So, I will give my opinion on a couple of what I consider cheap scopes. The first is the Bushnell Banner 3X9X40. It will sale from $70-$90. I used a scope like this on my Knight 50 Cal for about 4 years. I never had a problem with it and I was shooting 150 grains of Pyrodex Pellets behing a Saboted bullet. I replaced the scope with a Bushnell Elite 4200 when I had more money. I still have this scope and I mounted it on my 22. If you can afford a little more go with the Bushnell Legend 3X9X40 for between $125-$150. This is a darn good scope for the money. My neighbor recently purchased one and at sundown the optics are very bright. I was impressed with this scope and its price tag. In my opinion this scope is superior to the Leupold Vari-X II.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:29 AM

Hi dpv,

You didn't say whether or not the scope that came on the rifle is working or not. If it does in fact work...then stick with it until you can afford what you really would like to get. If it is not working....then I would say look at some of the Bushnells. They are not the best scope optically....but I don't think that I have ever have one fail on me either. I haven't had what I'd call vast experience with them....but I have owned a half dozen or so over the years....and they worked.

If what you got is working.....don't worry about the name on the side. If you can get it zeroed, sight through it, and hit what you are shooting at....that's good enough! (Why settle for something else if there is not an absolute need to?)
Old 12-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have both 3-9X and a 1.5-5X Bushnell Scopechief IV's (old!!) with the Command Post reticles that are quite good. I have several old Lyman All-Americans that are excellent.

My advice is to get onto e-bay, or other auction site, and buy a used good quality scope such as an old Leupold, Weaver K-model, Lyman, etc. I just bought an All American 4X for $35.00 + $7.50 postage. It's OK!!

Quick Reply: Anyone happy with a cheap scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.