Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone happy with a cheap scope? >

Anyone happy with a cheap scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone happy with a cheap scope?

Old 12-10-2003, 06:08 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Anyone happy with a cheap scope?

I have a package gun that I would like to put a better scope on. But with 3 kids I just can't swing a nikon or Leapould. There will come a time when I can move up to something like that but for the time being I need to find a functional scope that will be better than the simmons 3-9 x 32 that I got with the rifle and is easy to afford.
I'm sure I will get the typical responses that I'm cutting myself short by not selling my kids organs and buying the fancy scope but I'm wondering who out there has a bare bones scope that works well for them. What did you look for, etc.?
David
Old 12-10-2003, 06:11 PM

Default RE: Anyone happy with a cheap scope?

I have a Leupold, and I got it for free other wise I wouldnt have it. I have heard some good things on cabelas scopes, you should check them out!
Old 12-10-2003, 06:13 PM

Shop around for a used Vari x II or get on Ebay and bid on one. Ive bought a few used Leupolds for a hundred bucks. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:26 PM

I still have a Tasco 3x9x40 on one of my rifles. I paid MAYBE $40 for it around ten years ago. The scope still works fine but the rifle doesn't see much use and it doesn't have much recoil. When buying a cheap scope stay away from the wide angle variable models. I have found that the clarity is especially poor on that type of scope. Personally, I would also avoid adjustable objective lens on any cheap scope. The bottom line is when you need to buy a cheap scope stick with the basics.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, when I have been forced to buy a cheap scope, I've stuck with Bushnell. Some don't care for them, but I've had luck with the ones I've used.

Also, their Elite models are every bit as good as the Leupolds I own.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:01 PM

Simmons 3-9x40 8pts are a good scope at $40
Old 12-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Larry338, try ebay....I have seen Leupold scopes for good prices on there too. Or, if nothing is wrong with the Simmons scope, save your money until you can get a better one.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:57 PM

If your looking for quality optics at a great price. Take a look at Swift. You can sometimes find them at a good price on E-Bay but the word is getting out and the prices are rising.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

ive got a simmons 4-12x50 pro hunter. Ive been very pleased. holds zero well, very clear and the best low light scope ive ever had on a gun. it was under $130 and the 3-9 of the same model is a lot less than that i think.

Quick Reply: Anyone happy with a cheap scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.