Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun GURU's.  Help me out. >

Shotgun GURU's. Help me out.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun GURU's. Help me out.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:38 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Shotgun GURU's. Help me out.

I know tactical shotguns. I don't know much about hunting shotguns. I like Mossberg and own a 590 Mil-spec. I am looking at a Mossberg 500 with 28 inch barrel and modified choke. it's a VERY good price on a new shotgun. As far as function goes I am familiear and comfortable with mossberg. The barrel feels kind long to me, but that's probably because I am not used to it. Does anyone know what kind of field performance I would get with this. I would use it for hunting Deer, Turkey, and possibly ducks. I welcome your thoughts, as I just don't have the experience to know what I would get from this setup. Thanks,

David
Old 12-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun GURU's. Help me out.

There's a world of fine shotguns and a lot of them are sitting in used gun racks....Older Remington pumps, Winchester model 12s, Browning A-5s...etc

In my lifetime, I'd have been the best off if I'd bought the good stuff the first time...and by that I mean the Browning Citori or SKB over/under.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:54 AM

You can't go wrong with the 500, it's a real workhorse, not pretty, but it will bring the birds down.I don't know how it performs with slugs though, I've heard some guys say they get pretty good groupings.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:34 AM

ive got a mossberg 9200 semi auto and i shoot almost every thing with it and it does just fine for me( i dont duck hunt) deer turkey even a squrriel occasionaly but it does really well although u would have to pick up a used one cause i think they discountinued them
Old 12-08-2003, 04:04 PM

Check your e-mail
Old 12-08-2003, 05:25 PM

I'd look for a Remington 870 instead. I've just witnessed more problems with the 500's than I have the 870's. But the 500 is pretty good gun for the money.

500 or 870, you also might want to look around for one with screw in chokes. It will be a lot better for an all around gun.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:06 PM

I had a Mossberg 500 slug gun that was a great shooter with federals and a POS with Remingtons. You wouldn't think that it would make as much difference as it did, but it DID. Good workhorse. If I was choosing a pump gun right now, I'd look at the Benelli Nova. Going for about $329-$399 without the extra barrel. Likely higher $$$ for a Rifled Slug barrel for those, but I don't know. Shoots a 3.5 for the turkeys and waterfowl if necessary. JMHO