Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need help from Hoyt guru's >

Need help from Hoyt guru's

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help from Hoyt guru's

Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 AM

Default Need help from Hoyt guru's

Heres the deal. I have a Trykon XL that has a severe right tear. I have been the route of moving the rest to the left to where the centershot is 1 1/4 " ( a little extreme) . I have shot all of the different arrows I have and no change when the rest is at Hoyt's suggested centershot. I have put on new Vapor Trail strings and cables with a static yoke. Ilaid an arrow on the top cam and it shows that the top cam leans to the left. I took it to the pro shop and we twisted the lean out of the cam, but the limbs were so uneven that if you were to draw the bow the control cable would have come off the track in the cam. I have done all that I and the pro shop know how to do. The bow is in perfect spec according to Hoyt's tune charts. I am shooting 66#'s and 28 1/2 draw length. Is there anything left that I can do or do I just have a bow that cannot be tuned within a reasonable centershot?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Need help from Hoyt guru's

not that this will definately help, but the yoke only needs to be twisted up on 1 side so that the string is coming off the cams straight at full draw. to correct the lean while the bow is at rest is a major mistake that many folks seem to make.

are your cams hitting atfull draw at the same exact time?

are you using a drop away? i'm guessing off the top of my head that that is the real culprit. often times they bounce off the shelf and hit the arrow.

before giving up i'd try a different rest at the shop, preferably a prong rest.

as a last resort its possible there is an issue with one of the 4 limbs or a limb pocket.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:22 PM

Iam using a NAP/Hoyt Smartrest. I did switch it to a NAP QT3000 and it got a little better, but not enough.

The bow was just timed perfectly this past Saturday. Everything is in specas it applys to my draw lenth. The two guys that own the shop both have Trykons and have the same problem. They just moved their rests out to a rediculous 1 1/4 centershot, like I had mine. I just cant accept a $750 bow that wont tune to centershot, or at least close to it. The owner even swapped his limbs top to bottom and bottom to top at the advice of Hoyt. Still had the right tear.

I am at my wits end. [:@]

Old 09-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I realize it would require you to write a small book to communicate what you have tried, but more info would be good. The history would be good, like did it ever shoot right? You also say you've tried all your arrows, what would that be. Did the bow come with a static yoke? What were the specs of the bow before you started? It sounds like the 2 "pros" having the same problem may have something to do with it. You "twisted the lean out of the cam, but..." It sounds like your not doing it right and the balance between string and cables and buzz cable and control is way off. Sounds like you have thecables twisted up to tight and out of balance.

I do my own work and have been trying different things since spring. Learned a good deal about the bow I shoot, what's good and what's not. I don't have 2 guys pushing to solve a problem they already feel is not solvable. You may want to adapt the same approach. Until then you may want to give it to someone else to fix. You can find some good info on Hybrid cams on the archery talk web site. My bow shoots better with my ata 1/8" long. An05Protec.

I don't have a trykon and have heard of others having problems, maybe you're answering their questions. I don't think so though.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 AM

Yeah, AT has some good info. I actually spent about 1 1/2 hours on the phone last night with JAVI , and he got me all straightened out ( I hope).
Thanks for the responces guys.

Blessings ~
Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 AM

good choice in contacting javi. sorry i didn't mention that, he's where i send my customers who have no experience with cam.5's
Old 09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have a trykon xl and I shoot 67 pounds with carbon express 3d select 300's, and I use a schaffer drop away rest. I set the cam rotation so that my top cam is just slightly faster than the bottom one and it took me 2 shots to get a bullet hole. Also I set up center shot so the the arrow is just of right center of the stabilizer when looking down on the bow from above while resting it on my foot. I work part time at a pro shop and the owner is a national champion and he always sets his bows up like this as something about the top cam being slightly faster makes the bow perform better. I'm sure that everyone might not share this theory, so please note this is just our opionion. Try what works for you. If your top cam is slower than the bottom, just take some twists out of the buss cable tospeed it up a little, and if it is over rotated, just add some twist to the busscable to slow it down some. Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd have to think that through. I like the way you think.After the seasons over I wouldn't mind seeing what that would do.

ORIGINAL: BHunter32

I have a trykon xl and I shoot 67 pounds with carbon express 3d select 300's, and I use a schaffer drop away rest. I set the cam rotation so that my top cam is just slightly faster than the bottom one and it took me 2 shots to get a bullet hole. Also I set up center shot so the the arrow is just of right center of the stabilizer when looking down on the bow from above while resting it on my foot. I work part time at a pro shop and the owner is a national champion and he always sets his bows up like this as something about the top cam being slightly faster makes the bow perform better. I'm sure that everyone might not share this theory, so please note this is just our opionion. Try what works for you. If your top cam is slower than the bottom, just take some twists out of the buss cable tospeed it up a little, and if it is over rotated, just add some twist to the busscable to slow it down some. Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:35 AM

that's how the hoyt shooter's in the know set up their bows also. makes a nice valley also.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:15 AM

Basically , JAVI suggests making sure that the cams are timed correctly and then setting your centershot by walk-back tuning. Also, he suggested removing the grip. I took the grip off yesterday and bought some side plates. I like the feel , but havent had time to do the walk-back yet. I will do that tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Need help from Hoyt guru's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.