Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wood stock care? >

Wood stock care?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wood stock care?

Old 12-04-2003, 12:13 PM

Default Wood stock care?

Looking for advice of how to treat a wood stock that is not covered in a clearcoat like polyurethane. All I've every owned is a very glossy BDL. I'm considering a Tikka whitetail that has a maple stock that appears to not be coated with a waterproofing. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wood stock care?

Back 40, the stock is in fact coated with a finish but rather than high gloss of a bdl is a matte finish. Care and treatment would be the exact same as your BDL's were.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Wood stock care?

Most of the guns that I have had, I stripped the finish off and refinished them with just linseed oil. All you have to do then if you get a scratch or ding just rub a little more oil on it. Mainly you want to be sure there is no exposed wood which could be effected by mosture causing it to twist or warp. I must admit that I will no longer buy a gun with a wood stock. Its all synthetic for me.