Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Wood Care for Your Bows >

Wood Care for Your Bows

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Wood Care for Your Bows

Old 07-31-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Wood Care for Your Bows

Got in from shooting a little earlier today and figured I needed to rewax my string as its just time to be done again. As I got to looking, there is a lot of wax residue left in the string grooves and curves of my limbs where the string rests against it, all this has accumulated over the last year and a half I have owned the bow. Well, I was just a little curious how most of the more experienced wooden bow owners care for the surface of your bows. Such as what is the best way to get rid of old wax residue, do you use any kind of protectant or finish perservative to keep the wood looking good? Guess I would just like to know how the rest of you keep the woods we all love looking good over the years.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:59 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Wood Care for Your Bows

A dry cloth should get most of the wax residue. If you want to really clean it up, something non solvent and non abrasive like Murphy's Oil Soap will do the trick. I don't put anything on mine, but have heard of folks using furniture polish or wax to slick em up.

Chad
Old 07-31-2004, 07:38 PM

I just use a clean rag a few times a year to wipe off the old wax at each end. As a manner of protection, I wax my bows about 2-3 times a year with carnuba car wax. I've had one recurve since 93 and it still looks new. Others I am sure use different techniques. You decide!
Old 08-01-2004, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

I've found that it does wonders to try & get a little deer (or other big game) blood on my fav bow(s) during bowseason. The rest of the year a dry cloth keeps em looking good.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:47 AM

I use good car wax on my bows.. have had good look with that. Do have problems with the compound shooters dinging my bows up at the range when they put their compounds next to my traditional bows..

Calabash
Old 08-02-2004, 01:55 PM

Descenting spray on a rag.
Cleans and descents...
Makes sense...