Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for a new wood stock... >

Looking for a new wood stock...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a new wood stock...

Old 01-24-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Looking for a new wood stock...

Anybody know any good places to get a custom built (high quality wood) stock to fit precisely to my rifle?

I'm not talking about buying a blank and then me inletting it. I don't know anything about working a stock.

I want somebody to take my gun and build a stock to fit it.

???

Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a new wood stock...

richards does a 96% inletting and on some rifle actions 99%.
nice looking stocks.
http://rifle-stocks.com/
Old 01-24-2005, 04:23 PM

wow, those at rifle-stocks.com look awfully nice.

I could probably figure out how to sand and final fit them.

It'd be worth the 200$(or far more) difference to try it once or twice, anyway.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

yea the stocks are very nice, it do final inletting i think you can just use a dremel tool to take out some of the material. if you take out to much you could just do some glass bedding so your action will fit nice and snug. I have never done it but i have though about it.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest that you contact a gunsmith. Any formally trained gunsmith will know how to inlet and finish a stock, and if stockmaking isn't that perticular riflesmith's forte, he probably knows someone who can do it for you.

Mike
Old 01-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you want a truely custom stock made for your rifle be prepared to pay for it. The blank alone will cost you $500+ if you want a piece of wood with a feather croch or stump figure and fiddle back through out, or a marbled English walnut stock, etc...

After it is all said and done you will be looking at $1000.00 at a bare minimum. You can get into some very rare paterns of wood and get into the tens of thousands of dollars just for a stock.[] True custom stocks do not come cheap.

If you want a semi custom stock shaped from a standard patern but of fancy grade wood with limited options you can get away for about $500 - $750

I also highly suggest you contact a stock maker that has all the necessary tools and equipment to make a custom stock.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:27 AM

RidgeRunner: You got any photos of the ones you've had done (and then finished yourself)? I'd appreciate it.

Bigbulls: If I were putting this on a awesome action, then I might consider a thousand dollar (range) of stock. It's going on a 5 year old Winchester 70 (not the classic, pre-64 type controlled feed action, but the new push feed type action) in a 7mm Rem. Mag. It is a good shooter, has a 26" bbl and will put 3 shots with factory ammo in a ~1" circle 90% of the time.

But it does have one ugly-butt synthetic stock with no feeling or character.

So if I can get a AA fancy Claro Walnut stock cut in a Monte Carlo style for 179.00 (http://www.rifle-stocks.com/montecarlo.htm), I think that'd be a good fit of nice semi-custom stock to a very middle-of-the-road action and caliber.

I'm not sure why you're calling it semi-custom either, considering that if I were the one to sand and polish it, trust me, that it would certainly be one of a kind. One way or the other.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anybody know any good places to get a custom built (high quality wood) stock to fit precisely to my rifle?

I'm not talking about buying a blank and then me inletting it. I don't know anything about working a stock.

I want somebody to take my gun and build a stock to fit it.
Hey, that's what you asked for so I gave it to you.

You wanted someone to build you a custom stock made specifically to your rifle with fancy walnut.

I'm not sure why you're calling it semi-custom either, considering that if I were the one to sand and polish it, trust me, that it would certainly be one of a kind. One way or the other.
What you are getting from Richards Microfit or Boyds or any other company like them is not a custom or even a semi custom stock. You don't get to pick you wood. You don't get to choose your checkering, in fact there will be no checkering. You don't get to specify any thing like drop at comb, drop at heel, wrist length, cast off, inlays, forend tip and cap wood and style and a plethera of other things.

Don't get me wrong these are very nice stocks and the wood is very nice but they are essentially production stocks with some simple upgrades like the wood grade. They are no where near custom rifle stocks.

If you specified more about what you wanted and what you wanted to spend I wouldn not have wasted the time talking about a true custom stock and you would not have need to have an attitude about it.

If there is no attitude then accept my apology. It just comes off that way when reading your last post.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:01 PM

sorry, no attitude meant. Bad thing about message boards, words alone don't imply anything, but we all sometimes take something wrong.

I see what you're saying about it not being custom. And after seeing the prices of how much one costs to have fit personally to my rifle, I can live with something else.

I did ask and you did answer. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cool, sorry about jumping your case.

And after seeing the prices of how much one costs to have fit personally to my rifle, I can live with something else.
I don't blame you one bit. They can get super expensive. I've seen some go for $20, 000 or more. Have heard of people spending over $25,000 for a just a blank. Granted these are one in a million pieces of wood but it just goes to show you that some people have more money than brains.[8D]

Quick Reply: Looking for a new wood stock...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.