Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stock wood

Old 03-04-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Stock wood

No, not a wooden stock. I mean stock wood.

Where can I get a block of wood to carve my own stock?? I tinker in my dads wood shop, so I know what I'm doing with wood, made a few yo-yos and the like.

What are good woods and where can I buy them in the right sizes??

I didn't find any forum better to post about this, so lemme know if there is one.

Oh, and a note, I think I need 7x1 3/4x30, but I might need bigger, I'm planning ahead for my next rifle, going to buy stainless/synthetic and try to carve my own wooden stock.

Or let me know of any good wooden stock makers that won't cost me limbs.

Many thanks.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stock wood

there really isnt any particular wood to carve a stock from aslong as its a hard wood you can use just about anything just make sure the grain goes the length of the stock, I know there are rifle stock grades of wood but ive carved stocks from all types of wood and even made a few of my own laminate stocks, stocks are pretty easy to make just the difficult part is carving the bedding for the particular action. good luck
Old 03-04-2005, 11:56 PM

I found a very red wood that I think would go well with a stainless action, it's called Chakte Kok and it comes from Latin America.

HighDesertWolf, how hard is it to make a laminate stock? The place I see this wood at sells it in 13/16in. thickness only.

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer...ode=Chakte_Kok
Old 03-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you have a plainer and or a jointer you can mill the wood into just about any thickness you want. a plainer would be ideal for this where a jointer can be dangerous for any use other then squaring edges. something you can also do if you have a band saw is rig up a jig and use a couple inch thick piece of wood and make 1/2'" thick pieces from it and then use a plainer to take the pieces down even thinner.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:21 AM

I have a 10-inch wide plainer, so that's not an issue. The main problem I see is the fact that they come in what are pretty much sub-inch thick planks.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah that can be expensive and wasteful,hmmm you could glue the planks together making it a thicker piece then cut to the thickness you need, would be about the easiest way id recut the planks to about 3/8" or 7/16" so when you saw you will miss the joints where you glued the planks together that way it wont look sloppy and it should all end up looking about the same.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:36 AM

That's what I was thinking, two or three planks glued together length-wise to make a piece thick, wide, and long enough.

Also, this would be for the model 16 Savage. I think it has a trigger guard, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, that would be tricky.

Edit: I checked more closely on Savage's website, I'm 99% sure that rifle has a mettal trigger guard, not built into the synthetic stock.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

it could be a plastic trigger guard but a seperate piece from the stock, savage is quite known for that lol they do it all the time on there wooden stock guns so wouldnt surprise me if its the same way on there synthetics stocks too.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

on second thought in the picture it certainly does look like a steel trigger guard. I would have to say you are pretty safe to be 99% sure.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:07 AM

Thats what I was thinking as well. Plus, if you look up more info about the AccuTrigger, it shows a blown up picture that clearly has a steel guard, but that isn't a sure thing that it will be on the Model 16.

Here is a quick photo chop I did of the wood and rifle, just to get an idea of how the colors work together. It looks mighty sharp if you ask me.

Now I'm just wondering how in the world to do the checkering.

Quick Reply: Stock wood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.